PDA

View Full Version : PLease help with Polo 1.4L!!!

Wazza4
23-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi all,

Firstly thanks for viewing I really appreciate it.

I have a 98 Polo 1.4 8v L Auto and its done just uner 100k and I have an issue when I start my car weather its warm or cold.

When I turn the ignition, the car makes a loud squealing grinding noise (sounds like a slipping belt) but the car will still start normally and there are no other noises when running, its only happens on start!

This does not happen all the time but will happen twice in every 5 starts.
I have been to a mechanic who has said that it is a power steering belt that is slipping on start and not to worry.

Im just worried that its more than just a slipping belt.

Has anyone else had or heard or this issue?
Please help :1zhelp:

Thanks once again I really appreciate it.

Cheers
Wazza4

Dee-GTI
23-04-2008, 07:20 PM
If the mechanic said the belt is loose then it needs tightening m8, regardless of weather he said dont worry. As for the squealing, you say it happens when you turn the ignition on or During cranking? I once had a bravo and during the time that the starter was on the way out, it use to squeal a very high pitched squeal like there was a mouse in there! If its does it when you flick the igntion on then Maybe suspect fuel pump, as this fires up for a few seconds when you turn igntion on!

Wazza4
23-04-2008, 08:26 PM
It is a loud squealing grinding noise on crank!
It does sound like a super huge mouse at times indeed.

If I crank without starting the motor, ie caps not connected to the spark plugs then it happens as well which indicates to me that im not grinding the key when the motor starts.

I am leaning more towards the starter as well but not too sure how much they are.
Is it a pretty easy job to change a starter motor?
Suppose will look into that and see what I can do.

Cheers for your reply.

Captain Answer
23-04-2008, 09:03 PM
New belt or re-tension the old one, tho to me it sounds like the starter motor. Its a simple enough job to do and should take around an hour for a non-pro. Usually three bolts hold it in place and theres usually 2 small bolts for the ignition wiring

Crasher
23-04-2008, 09:15 PM
It does sound like the starter motor.

mbuk2456
27-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Id def say starter motor, if it was the PAS belt slipping it would do it when you turn from side to side when stationary. Its sounds to me like the starter motor getting stuck when your turing the car over, the nose you can hear is the starter motor over spinning due to it not retracting quick enough! if you can live with it and its not causing any starting issues then id leave it, but you could alsways get a second opinion from another garage

Rayzor
05-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I get this on my 1.6GL Auto Polo (V Reg). It makes that squeeling noise (everyone turns round if I am in a car park) just at the end of the starter motor cycle (as the engine fires up). It happens now about 1:50 (it is getting better). My garage couldn't find anything and suspected it was the starter motor, which seems to be the best diagnosis. It has beenn doing it for a couple of years now so I am not worrying.

Crasher
05-07-2008, 10:44 PM
My Octavia does it occasionally but it is only an irritant to start with.

Matt07858
15-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi All

New to the Polo side of posting, My sister had the same fault with her Polo, It was exactly what was said above, sorry cant remember the posters name :-P

The starter always spining correctly due to s bearing inside the starter according to the mechanic.

Bought and fitted a new starter myself, and hey presto NO More Squeeling at start ups