PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust problems on Mk3 1.6 Golf 97

JAZZK
23-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I am getting some strange noises from my exhaust system. When I start the car from cold its a very loud like throaty sound, also driving in anything under the 2000rpm range produces a lot of vibration under the back of the car like something is loose. I had the rear silencer replaced at first because thats what I thought the noise was, after it continued I took it back to the exhaust centre and they said it was a faulty silencer and replaced it with another one but to no avail the noise is still there?
Has anyone had the same problem or any ideas as to what could be the problem. I don't really want the expense of replacing the whole system unless I really have to.

Cheers

Mark :1zhelp:

Crasher
23-04-2008, 11:06 AM
The one I posted a pic for you is one I serviced yesterday (back in today for tracking and camber, that’s why I could take a pic of the plug access for you) and that had a loose rear heat shield that was resonating. It also has a manifold to head blow which is common as are loose front pipe covers and cat heat shields as well as faulty cat’s themselves where the internals roll around. Also centre boxes can fall apart internally and resonate.

JAZZK
23-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I did not think of checking the heat shields although I would have thought the exhaust centre would of noticed anything loose. What sort of cost roughly would you say for a new mid section of the exhaust and/or a new cat would cost fitted.

:1zhelp:

Crasher
23-04-2008, 01:02 PM
That varies tremendously depending on quality and where you buy. Genuine VW prices are the cat at £350, centre box £100 and the rear silencer is £53 so I hope you didn’t pay more than that.