PDA

View Full Version : T5 brake judder...HELP!

andy8442
23-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi,I've a 2007 T5 T32,2.5 130bhp combi...(phew!).Ever since I got it I've had a judder or vibration when you brake. You feel it more through the seat than the brake pedal and it only happens at slow speeds; ie rolling up to lights etc.

I wouldn't say it was intermitent, it's always there, but some days are worse than others.

It always happens after a long run,but sometimes occurs very quickly before the temp is up, which coinsides with the engine running very rough or lumpy.

It's been to VW 6/7 times, no luck. The disks are all fine,all the ABS sensors are fine the ECU has had an update etc etc.

Please help! Has anyone had a similar problem? What do I do next with VW, they seem to have run out of ideas.

Any thoughts?:(

Tony M
23-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Go to a different VW garage. Your local one is obviously incompetent.

andy8442
24-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I have tried that already.

andy8442
01-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Just trying to get this post noticed again... so maybe someone will read it and have any ideas. I'm desparate!

rallye dale
04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I've got the same problem with mine,T30 LWB 2.5 TDI on a 56 Plate,only had it 2 months so not a chance to take it in yet

sorry its no help but at least you are not alone ;)

andy8442
04-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I,ll let you know if I get anywhere, it's going in for a service next week and yet another look at.

andy8442
22-05-2008, 07:34 PM
HELP! PLS read,maybe you could be of assistance.

clintyboy12
29-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Take a look at this:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41256

Not sure it's the same issue but I have just had my front CV Gaiter (drivers side) replaced and got it back to find I get a sharp juddering / pulsating under braking, just before coming to a stop - so only at low speeds.
Going back to the garage on Mon for them to look into it and will mention about the speed rings (got a Haynes manual and doesn't mention speed rings though) but it's very annoying and I'm not that happy driving it right now.

BTW my car is a VW Passat TDi estate 130BHP (53 plate)

Not sure if this is of any use for you...!

andy8442
09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Finally after 9 goes at it, VW have fixed the problem. For anyone out there with a similar problem the solution was replacing switches on the brake pedal and clutch which have something to do with EBD?

CADDY.D
14-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi all,
New to this site and must say there is a lot of info.
I have had the same problem with my T5 since the day i collected it from the dealer....brake judder and running lumpy.I also noticed a strange smell,as if it was overheating,but the temp guage was fine.

Doesn't happen all the time whether its hot or cold,long journeys or short,city driving or motorway driving.Just whenever it feels like it.

Been back and forth to the dealers a few times with no success....Changed fuel filter and tried fault codes.But after reading this i hope to get the problem sorted.
The van is the same LWB 130 and 2007.....was maybe a bad year.

andy8442
15-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi all,
New to this site and must say there is a lot of info.
I have had the same problem with my T5 since the day i collected it from the dealer....brake judder and running lumpy.I also noticed a strange smell,as if it was overheating,but the temp guage was fine.

Doesn't happen all the time whether its hot or cold,long journeys or short,city driving or motorway driving.Just whenever it feels like it.

Been back and forth to the dealers a few times with no success....Changed fuel filter and tried fault codes.But after reading this i hope to get the problem sorted.
The van is the same LWB 130 and 2007.....was maybe a bad year.

Blimey same problem word for word. Hmm don't know what to say has the fault started up again last night after just saying to a mate that "touch wood" it was running fine.

I've had the injectors replaced, a wiring loom and the dual mass flywheel all changed.

VW finally seemed to get it sorted, but 8 weeks later it's started again! so I don't know what to say.Let me know if you have any luck.

CADDY.D
16-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I have booked it in for next wed (22nd) for them to have a look at.

When i was talking to the duty manager on the phone i was telling him about chap on vw forum who had the same problem but managed to get it sorted.Dont know what i am going to tell him, now that your problem has re-occured.

He was going to contact head office to see if a similar problem had been reported.Will let you know if fault is fixed when i get it back.

andy8442
16-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi, I was also going to say that the sensors on the brake and clutch pedals were changed and for awhile again all was well, but.......West Yorkshire van centre did the work on mine if that helps. But what worries me is mine was definately fixed, but is now back! And VW don't know which bit was faulty.

Personally I think its an electronic glitch, its the only thing that would explain the completely random nature. Also my handheld code reader I've got went berserk the other night when the fault was occurring.

Please let me know what VW say, as I've got to book mine in again.

CADDY.D
23-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Got the van back today.The garage couldn't find any fault after taking it on a long test drive and trying to find fault codes.

Wasn't expecting them to find anything as i think it's beyond their capability.They said when it happens again to bring it in, but thats the problem it doesn't happen on command.

Dont know what to do now.I suppose i will have to deal with it.

andy8442
23-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Got the van back today.The garage couldn't find any fault after taking it on a long test drive and trying to find fault codes.

Wasn't expecting them to find anything as i think it's beyond their capability.They said when it happens again to bring it in, but thats the problem it doesn't happen on command.

Dont know what to do now.I suppose i will have to deal with it.

Oh my God, we seem to be living parallel lives. All I can say is stick with it, my bit of luck was when the fault occurred and I happened to be driving past the dealership. I took it straight in and they plugged it up and recorded a misfire. Not that it's sorted, but at least they don't think I'm making it all up!

Are you still under warranty, if so the VW assistance vans have the computers onboard, so it you have the fault at some point give them a call and they can come and meet you and maybe find something.

Unfortunately this fault needs alot of time just driving around to spot it, and the dealership just won't do that, they don't get paid for fault finding to this extent. Try a cheap code reader off ebay, not that mine has been successful, (it went doolally when the fault occurred) but you never know.
Keep at it,let me know if you have any success, and I'll do the same.

CADDY.D
24-04-2009, 08:32 AM
I still have a full years warranty left so maybe get it sorted before then.

We dont have the mobile vw service vans over here but the dealer told me to take it to one of their garages, whatever one i'm nearest to, the next time it happens.

andy8442
30-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Got a fault code reading this morning. I can't get a reading when the fault is occurring as the reader goes up the spout, but got one this morning. Apparently its poor electrical contacts somewhere. Booked it into VW next week and they seem hopeful, but they were hopeful last time. The burning smell appeared as well, almost forgot about that, it's been so long since it happened.

Anyway if I get anywhere I'll let you know.

CADDY.D
01-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks Andy for the update.Keep me posted about what the garage comes up with.

andy8442
17-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Caddy.D, hope you're well. Good news! well maybe. Got my van back last week from the dealer, and they may have fixed it, I say may, but i think a few weeks of running around is needed before I'm sure.

After stripping the engine down they found a "badly corroded" earth strap that feeds the ECU. It's under or near the battery mount, if you want to let your garage know.

A bad earth on the ECU sounds like it could fit the bill, so lets hope they've got it nailed. I'll keep you informed on how it goes the next few weeks. good luck with yours.

Andy

CADDY.D
19-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks Andy for the update.Will probably wait a while to see if this cured the problem before i go running to the garage.

This was a problem with my van form new and i dont think this lead would have been corroded from day one.Maybe a bad connection.Might take a look at that myself.

I haven't been driving the van much these days as work is a bit slack.
But no doubt when i get back in the drivers seat and this problem reoccurs
i will be :aargh4::mad:.
Keep me posted though of it happens again.

Thanks,Alan.

andy8442
03-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Guess what? The same problems back, after only a week. ARRRRRGH!

Just don't know what to do. Can't afford to sell it, but from time to time it's almost impossible to drive. I'm really at a loss, it's my work van and family car,so I spend alot of time in it, but bugger me it's a pain.

Try again with the dealers I suppose!:aargh4:

CADDY.D
04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I had a strange problem with the t5 this morning.All the clocks worked as normal when i started her up then all the gauges went to zero.A buzzer came on then of, no radio, no electric windows, no lights no indicators and a strange smell in the cab.

I rang the garage who told me to they couldn't look at it til next wednesday but it should be ok to drive......dont think so.They told me to ring vw assist who came an hour and a half later.
The chap looked at it and done his stuff then diagnosed the problem as the battery over charging.....the smell was the vapour from the battery acid,it was leaking out of the caps on top of the battery.

My local vw commercial dealer is about 50 miles away so i had to drive the van with no speedo or indicators or anything else .About ten miles into the journey i had to pull over as the fumes were getting to me and from then on i was towed with the towpole and no power steering or anything else.Needless to say i was glad when i got there.

I dont know if this is the problem with this van coming to a head but time will tell when i get it back.Will keep you posted.

andy8442
05-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Hmm interesting!

I too have had a smell, and funnily enough have what I regard as a crap battery has it has gone flat a number of times, leaving me in the lurch.

Let me know what they say. Good luck!

andy8442
09-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Hi Caddy.D how goes the T5?

CADDY.D
09-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi Andy,
Just got the van back this morning with a new alternator installed under warranty.

It sorted out the electrics and dash readings messing about but i think its too early to rule out the brake judder problem (if its connected).

I only drove about 50 miles back from the garage so it wasn't long enough a journey for it to play up again, but i must say i do think it's driving a bit smoother.

Time will tell. I will check in with you again in a couple of weeks to see how its performing.....sooner if it goes back to it's old tricks.

Caddy.d

andy8442
09-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi, cheers for that. Mine goes in again on thurs, I'll mention the alternator thing.

Thanks again.

Andy

andy8442
15-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Caddy,

Just got my T5. VW have changed a Manifold Temperature Sensor, which is part of the exhaust system. They seem confident,as it came from VW technical themselves, but as always only time will tell.

I'll let you know how I get on either way.

andy8442
29-06-2009, 01:33 PM
HI Caddy,

Forget what I said. It's up to it's old tricks again!

How are you getting on with yours?

CADDY.D
29-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Andy,
Sorry to hear the problem didn't get sorted.I haven't been at work for a while so haven't been driving the T5 to see if the problem still exists.

andy8442
17-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Hey Caddy, how goes it?

Had the ECU changed last week! VW seem very confident with this fix, only time will tell. I'll let you know how I get on.

andy8442
22-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Caddy, new ECU didn't cure the fault, it's back in again. Have you had any success with yours?

CADDY.D
11-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Well Andy,how goes the T5.

I haven't been doing much driving in this van recently but from what driving i have been doing its going pretty good.

It seems to have cured the problem for me.

andy8442
12-10-2009, 09:58 AM
No such luck for me. It's just spent 2 weeks at the dealers and is going back next week. Just to remind me what exactly did VW do that has cured yours. Also how long has it been free of the fault?

CADDY.D
12-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Andy,sorry to hear the van is still poorly.

Volkswagen put a new alternator in mine which sems to have done the trick.That was back in june and it has been driving pretty good....no brake judder or lumpy driving.

ianseat
14-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Gents, How goes this issue? I have a Seat Leon with teh exact same problem. I have had various trips to the garage. Latest trick was to machine flat the component that the brake discs bolt on to. Done today, going to see how it lasts. Before this I had the actual discs ground but this didn't last.
Thanks

andy8442
14-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks, but it's not the brakes. It seems to be something electrical , as it is very internmitant.

andy8442
17-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Just to let you know Caddy, that VW have decided it's the DPF regeneration process, and are leaving it at that! None of the evidence points to that, but hey you can only bang your head against the wall for so long.

I've given in too and sold the T5 and ordered a Vito. No more VW's for me!

CADDY.D
30-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Sorry to hear you've given up on volkswagens Andy.Hope the vito serves you well.

I myself haven't been driving the problematic T5 but i have inherited a 104 T5........very underpowered.

paul b
01-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I myself haven't been driving the problematic T5 but i have inherited a 104 T5........very underpowered.
Ha! My T5 has even less power... just 85! And you think you've got it bad... :D

All the best with the Vito, you'll need it once it's any more than 5 years old, they rust like the proverbial!

andy8442
01-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Don't they all. My T5 had a few rust spots on it, bubbling from the inside! Noticed when less than a year old. And I've just noticed a spot on my wife's 55 plate Touran.

I'm well aware of the pitfalls of the Vito, but we have been treated so badly this year by VW that I had no choice but to take my business elsewhere.

paul b
01-01-2010, 11:42 PM
You really must have a couple of VWs that were made on a Friday at the factory.

My 2004 T5 is rust free (apart from a small spot where someone has damaged the back door, I'm convinced it wouldn't be there without the damage.

I nearly bought a Vito instead of the T5, but was put off by the amount of them I saw with rust when viewing them. I could not bring myself to spend £4k on something rusty!