PDA

View Full Version : Big Wheels

eddmac
22-04-2008, 08:35 PM
I fancy a new set of alloys on the Phaeton. Anyone changed theirs?
If so , what did you go for?

I believe that the Bentley Conti GT wheels fit straight on (they should do, it's the same car!)

Get some piccies on here if you have, I need ideas

:beerchug:

nigel@calicocot
06-05-2008, 03:35 PM
having got 19" Helios wheels on my 3.0d phaeton, I suggest you tread with care. My front left wheel developed a 1" crack on the inside of the rim. No marks on the tyre or wheel and the back wheel on that side was fine.

VW refused to accept a warranty claim - VW insisted I hit something at speed, the dealer said it could have been damaged going up a curb at low speed which is quite worrying--- Neither accepted that the wheel could have had a manufacturing fault although they did suggest I bought a new wheel and they would send the old one off for testing.

The debate with VW is on-going

TSAY
06-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I fancy a new set of alloys on the Phaeton. Anyone changed theirs?
If so , what did you go for?

I believe that the Bentley Conti GT wheels fit straight on (they should do, it's the same car!)

Get some piccies on here if you have, I need ideas

:beerchug:

Rubber is expensive - big fat tyres are for ego only and don't necessarily add to ride comfort (a bit more grip perhaps but also more tyre noise!).

Well that's my opinion. I cover plenty of miles a year and after the novelty I worry more about the practicality. Anyhow, if driving a Phaeton surely it's the "understated" look you're after? ;)

eddmac
06-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Rubber is expensive - big fat tyres are for ego only and don't necessarily add to ride comfort (a bit more grip perhaps but also more tyre noise!).

Well that's my opinion. I cover plenty of miles a year and after the novelty I worry more about the practicality. Anyhow, if driving a Phaeton surely it's the "understated" look you're after? ;)

:biglaugh: LOL My Phaeton is actually the family car, I have a wee 4x4 for work, The wife uses the PH for the shopping and it only covers about 2 - 3000 a year, so ride comfort isn't really a big deal for me, not that it's that good anyway. I'm after the bling factor or a bit of a change and changing the wheels is a lot cheaper than changing the car, especially after the trade in offer the local VW dealer gave me on it:zx11: but that's another story!