PDA

View Full Version : water leaking into interior

scooby doo
18-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi
I have a problem with my 03 mk 4 Golf , There is water geting in to the foot well in the drivers side and behind the drivers seat. carpets are soaked. I taught it might be the pollen filter , but i opened it today and it seemed to be dry. I dont have a sun roof and I checked the battery houseing and that was ok,

has anyone had the same problem with a golf . Any help would be appreciated

Boardboy
22-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Hi scooby doo Can you get someone to give the car a hose down whilist you are inside. Get them to run water down the windows to see if it comes through. Check the bonnet pull gromet as well. Hope you find it. I hate water getting in to cars!!
regards Boardboy

KirbTheSwerve
30-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi Scooby Doo,
I have a 1988 Golf mk2 that does exactly the same thing. The water seems to be getting in from above/behind the fuse box. I've had it in my garage for the last 2 weeks and the sound-proofing around the above mentioned area is still damp.

Boardboy
31-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Are the drains clear in the scuttle panel below the windscreen? Check all the grommets for stuff like bonnet pull, aerial and any looms running in to the car.
Regards Boardboy

paulb
05-01-2007, 09:11 PM
all mk4 golfs leak into footwells,most likely problem is the window regulator that bolted to the door behind inside door panel the seal wil hav rotted,remove d/panel water test with hose if it leaks remove andtry to resea regulator with silicone sealler,if this doesnt work wil req new regulator,also the door speakers leak water in aswell.

Tman51
25-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Hello... Warning... completely new user.

So I've had the same issue with my 00 Jetta. Thought it was in the well under the wipers and turns out it was coming in the firewall. I had pulled the seats, the under portion of the dash, and pealed back the carpet. But now its's fixed!

The story of a 2000 jetta without a sunroof. I was getting a leak into the drivers footwell from under the leftside of the dash.

Basically, I investigated the "well" beneath the wipers and that was not it. I sealed that up good (trust me) and still got the leak.

So, I tracked it a little more an concluded that the water was coming down by the hinge to the hood and dripping/flowing down the top of the shock mount. There is a little channel that the hood release cable runs in. Water would flow through there and then down around the top of the shock mount and down the firewall. The trick is that the transition from vertical to horizontal (underneath the wiper well) is rounded. Meaning the water can travel underneath and along the bottom of the well. From here the water was dripping down the firewall and making it's way in there somehow.

In the firewall, one large cable bundle makes its way in via a rubber coupling. In addition, a metal plate is bolted to the firewall and "sealed". I tightened the plate to no avail, but sealed the hell out the area (silicone). Also, I diverted the water flow starting with the channel mentioned above, and then beaded up the rounded lip to prevent water from following the "ceiling". So I addressed it in three ways.
To get to the firewall, carefully remove the air filter, and work your way in under the wire bundle.

Boardboy
25-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Glad you got it fixed. I hate water getting in to a car :biglaugh:

Regards Boardboy

a1alan
28-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi
I have a problem with my 03 mk 4 Golf , There is water geting in to the foot well in the drivers side and behind the drivers seat. carpets are soaked. I taught it might be the pollen filter , but i opened it today and it seemed to be dry. I dont have a sun roof and I checked the battery houseing and that was ok,

has anyone had the same problem with a golf . Any help would be appreciated

obvious first question ...has the windscreen been changed ???