PDA

View Full Version : passat 140 2.0tdi whirring noise

iantomlinson
21-04-2008, 10:41 PM
:confused:Hi folks just purchased a 140 bhp se deisel passat june 2005 new shape, getting a whirring noise when reving the engine it does not seem to be the turbo as i can hear the whizz from the turbo when it comes in! any suggestions as to what it can be? 29,000 miles covered, thanks

domestos
22-04-2008, 02:33 PM
If the noise is coming from behind the drivers seat? It Could be your fuel pump about to go pop!

There are other posts on here about fuel pumps so check them out. If it is the fuel pump it is a known major problem and you need to get it booked in quickly.

The dealer should cover it under a warranty. But there is a long wait for replacments, some people are reporting 2 months or more for a replacment. And it is dangerous to drive the car until it is fixed. (not wanting to worry you but just before mine went I had an awful noise like that you describe)

Some people on here reported the pump gave way just as they was pulling out onto a major carrageway and had an 18 wheeler bearing down on them...

One way to test - and this happend with mine, not sure of anybody elses - Rev hard in first or second and get upto around 3500/4000 revs, does the car kinda bunny hop? if so then its the fuel pump.

james_tiger_woo
22-04-2008, 03:29 PM
One way to test - and this happend with mine, not sure of anybody elses - Rev hard in first or second and get upto around 3500/4000 revs, does the car kinda bunny hop? if so then its the fuel pump.

I'll try that tonight.....

domestos
22-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I'll try that tonight.....

That only works if it is about to go... if you haven't had yours done yet - get it booked in quick...

iantomlinson
23-04-2008, 12:02 PM
[quote=domestos;167296]If the noise is coming from behind the drivers seat? It Could be your fuel pump about to go pop!
Thanx for the advice m8! the noise seems to be from the engine compartment? just got this car and done 7000 miles in 4 weeks had the noise from i got it 4 weeks ago, could just be the noise that this engine makes as my previous car was an omega and that had a distinctive deisel noise from it , is the vw a quieter engine? maybe im just being paranoid eh? :o

domestos
23-04-2008, 05:54 PM
[quote=domestos;167296]If the noise is coming from behind the drivers seat? It Could be your fuel pump about to go pop!
Thanx for the advice m8! the noise seems to be from the engine compartment? just got this car and done 7000 miles in 4 weeks had the noise from i got it 4 weeks ago, could just be the noise that this engine makes as my previous car was an omega and that had a distinctive deisel noise from it , is the vw a quieter engine? maybe im just being paranoid eh? :o

I have a slight clicking noise when starting from cold but goes when warmed up, i've had it for two years and done 65000 miles without a problem so I guess that is standard - as for a whirring noise...

Does it only do it when it is in gear?
Does it do it when in neutral? in that case Have you had somebody throttle it while you are lookin under the hood to try and pinpoint where the noise is coming from? Cambelt, turbo, pistons, fan, etc...

Need a little more infor before suggesting any more idea's - or you could take it down the ******** and get them to have a look - if you only had it four weeks you must have at least had a 3 month dealer warranty with it...

Quatrelle
23-04-2008, 07:30 PM
If it rises and falls with the engine revs I think the first thing I'd check would be the cambelt.

As domestos says he needs more information, but analysing a noise can only really be done with your (his!) head under the bonnet.

iantomlinson
25-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Cheers lads ! whirring noise seems to rise and fall with the revs? got my mechanic to listen to it he said that it is a usual noise associated with that type of engine , but im not convinced! problem he said is that i had a deisel omega 53 plate and done 200k + miles in 3 yrs so he said totally different engine ,its just a case of getting used to the new noise? will take to the dealer and have a listen to other passats for confirmation ,,, will let you all know if i am just mad in the head:( thankS for all the great advice :beerchug: IAN