PDA

View Full Version : Interior lights flash when the car gets hot.

TCullen
21-04-2008, 09:47 PM
This one is like ET. Only, and only when the weather is hot and the car has been in the sun (yeah like not many times this year) - the interior lights flash whilst driving! This causes another problem in that you can't lock the car without the alarm going off after the 30 seconds or so delay. I think it has something to do with the delay relay that turns the lights off after 30 secs or so since as soon as they get to this point and start to fade off you hear a click on on they come again! It's a W 2000 S3. Help! :zx11:

S3 - Sandy
09-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm getting the same problem, and now you've mentioned it, i'm only getting it on hot days as well. Mine is a 2001 S3. I'm taking it to get a Vagcom on it tomorrow so depending on what is said i'll post the advice I get here tomorrow

TCullen
10-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks Sandy - let me know how you get on. I can't get near to a vagcom for a while so I resorted to a Haynes manual on the A3 to help. It hasn't really helped much but I was about to dive into the relay box and then would have pulled the interior light unit apart!

harry k
10-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but what is a vagcom?

S3 - Sandy
11-06-2008, 08:26 AM
VW Audi group diagnostic machine, you plug your car in and it'll tell you all kinds of magical electrical faults you never knew you had!

JTA3
28-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Hiya, my Audi A3 does the interior light show when it thinks the passenger door isn't closed properly, ususally when its dry weather too. I just have to shut the door 10 times and make sure the lights have stopped flashing before i get out to lock up and set alarm.
Been told i'll need new door locks to get rid of problem :-(

TCullen
28-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Sandy - did the vagcom show up anything? TTFN TC

binman19567
25-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Sandy - did the vagcom show up anything? TTFN TC
hi chaps. same thing happens to our 02 A3 . drive along with flashing interior lights and false alarm triggers.... help has anyone got any clue?

TCullen
26-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi Binman - nop no clues yet - in fact mines getting worse in that it'll play up when it isn't that warm. Have tried slamming all doors and tailgate 10 times etc - doesn't help. I find I have to walk away from it in it's unlocked state and go back and lock it when it's cooled down. I have managed to locate a clicking noise from behind the dashboard when the problem occurs but haven't been brave enough to go in there yet! I've spent hours looking on blogs and even bought the Haynes manual to study the electrics. Anyone out there please help!!!

u60js2
27-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi guys,

This seems like a common problem. I have a X reg A3, the interior lights flash when driving along and i can hear the realy going behind the dash (not had a chance to investigate yet) and this is followed with false alarms after 30 secs. This happens when the car is hot or cold. I have to lock the car and wait 30 secs till the alarm goes off then unlock and lock the car again. This stops the alarm.

This is driving me mad - please post if you have any solutions/clues on this one!

CARPY25
12-09-2008, 08:11 AM
this is caused by a sticking micro switch in one or more of the door/tailgate locks , mine started playing up in the bad rain we have had lately , passengers door lock giving false alarms and interior light flashing ,both reset by opening and closing the door with some force sometimes more than once a quick spray with wd40 stopped it for now ,worth a try

Rob

avitmark
12-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi all,

The problems you describe is very common, you are lucky if the wd40 solves it, my passenger lock started playing up earlier in the year, was ok for a few months but then at begin of August was really bad, in the end changed lock. Found could,nt buy micro seperate from lock.Apparantley there are 4 micro switches in the lock assembly.

Hope this helps

Mark

TCullen
12-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Hey Mark - thanks you are a star - saved me pulling the dash and interior light unit to bits. These forums are brilliant!

Cheers

TC

PS - I'm in Texas USA at the mo so I'm just about to experience my first hurricane!

TCullen
12-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Rob thanks for this - will 'go in' and see what I can do although Mark says the microswitch can't be replaced. I'll post my findings.

Cheers

TC