PDA

View Full Version : S3 How do I remove the piano-black trim to get at hazard/indicator relay?

TCullen
21-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi - great to find threads that pin-pointed my indicator relay as the culprit causing my intermittant indicators BUT how do you get the trim off to reveal the blessed thing!:zx11: Mine is a W 2000 S3. I've spotted that Audi seem to change this unit a few times so want to get at it before I go to Vagparts and get one.

BTW Vagtech take great care of my S3 and even at 148k miles it goes like a dream!

TC

jazzindahouse
22-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi - had to change the relay switch on A3 2002 model. Had to take the stereo head unit out [removal keys] - then push out the panel out with a lever - flat end - then prise out hte relay switch and replace. The key to speed of change is removing the stereo head unit. If this comes out - can be done in 30 mins. If not - a few hours. Beleive I know - happened to me. Audi A3 manual - Haynes has the instructions.

TCullen
22-04-2008, 08:29 PM
They thanks - have ordered keys to pull stereo - will let you know how I get on! :approve: Car off the road now as indicators now completely dead! :mad:

ahin4114
22-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Replaced the unit on mine yesterday, just took a thin knife and a bit of patience. The facia is held on at the top and at the bottom by some sprung metal clips, there's no plastic bits to break. There are a couple of clips top and bottom, about 1/4 of the way in on either side. The facia is pretty substantial too, not like the flimsy ford ones, so you don't stand much chance of snapping it by accident.

I slid the knife in between the facia and the passenger side trim and gently pried it away, alternating between the top and the bottom until the left hand side of the panel popped out, I didn't have any trouble then gently working the rest of the panel off.

The actual relay is held in place by two sprung metal rods, these push out against the edges of the mounting point and hold it in place, but they do not lock it in place. I simply took two pairs of fine tipped pliers and held either side of the relay unit, pulled slowly and the whole relay slid out nicely.

Could be luck of the Irish, but I'm not Irish so go figure.

Hope that helps.