PDA

View Full Version : Central air vent dash assembly - how to remove?

fraser33
21-04-2008, 08:37 PM
The driver's-side, central air-vent louvres on my newly acquired '02 Passat can not be closed using the thumb wheel, so I need to remove the assembly to have a closer inspection and see if i can fix it myself. All but the top blade can be closer by running a finger up and over them, but that's not exactly convenient!

How do I go about removing it - is it simply a case of getting some sort of 'hook' behind each of the two sets of louvres or their surround and carefully pulling outwards? I'm hoping it is the sort of unit that just gets pushed into place during assembly, so a bit of judiciously applied outward force will remove it.

And if/when I do get it out, is there sufficient slack in the flexi hoses (again, I'm assuming that's what's behind this thing) to reconnect these before pushing the unit back into place?

Cheers

Fraser

Inspector Beetle
22-04-2008, 07:50 AM
I have replaced the central vent unit which I assume is the same type of fit. I used a smooth flat ended screwdriver and just gently prised it out of the dash.
I had no problems and surprised how easy it was.. Good luck!!!:beerchug:

caldirun
22-04-2008, 08:11 AM
The driver's-side, central air-vent louvres on my newly acquired '02 Passat can not be closed using the thumb wheel, so I need to remove the assembly to have a closer inspection and see if i can fix it myself. All but the top blade can be closer by running a finger up and over them, but that's not exactly convenient!

How do I go about removing it - is it simply a case of getting some sort of 'hook' behind each of the two sets of louvres or their surround and carefully pulling outwards? I'm hoping it is the sort of unit that just gets pushed into place during assembly, so a bit of judiciously applied outward force will remove it.

And if/when I do get it out, is there sufficient slack in the flexi hoses (again, I'm assuming that's what's behind this thing) to reconnect these before pushing the unit back into place?

Cheers

Fraser
I had the same problem, removing it would not help and it is tight. If you persevere the slat just slots into place and it will be as good as new, have patience.

fraser33
22-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys, I'll need to have a closer look in good light to see if I can figure out how the thumb-wheel operates the closing mechanism. From the quick glance I had, it didn't seem very clear, but I'll give it another go. If all else fails, I might have to do the 'careful prise method' ....or get a replacement one if necessary.

Cheers

F

caldirun
22-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys, I'll need to have a closer look in good light to see if I can figure out how the thumb-wheel operates the closing mechanism. From the quick glance I had, it didn't seem very clear, but I'll give it another go. If all else fails, I might have to do the 'careful prise method' ....or get a replacement one if necessary.

Cheers

F
From what I can remember, if you press down on the outer edges of the slat and lift the centre with your thumbs the slat will come out. There are two lugs which locate in holes at each side. Remove the slat below the top one then reverse this method to locate the top slat in its correct position then replace the one below it. This may be easier with the slats in a horizontal position. I did this one lunchtime after eating my sandwich at the side of the road, it only takes a minute when you work it out. I have since taken my vents out to replace dead filament lamps with LEDS, it will not help you to replace your slats!!!

fraser33
23-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Okay, thanks for the detailed tips, very helpful. I'll hopefully get time to look at it tonight. Cheers again. F

fraser33
27-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Right, I've found out what the problem is. It's not that a blade has come out of the locating holes at the side. What appears to have happened is the slim, sliding part into which the locating pins sit has snapped at the top. I assume the top part of this should somehow connect to the thumb-turn control. Since there is now no connection between the blades and the thumb-turn, the grille obviously won't open or close.:aargh4:

Unless I can get a replacement grille unit from a breakers, it looks like I'll need to replace the whole assembly after all, as I don't imagine I could buy either that one tiny piece or a single grille unit from a dealer.

caldirun
28-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Right, I've found out what the problem is. It's not that a blade has come out of the locating holes at the side. What appears to have happened is the slim, sliding part into which the locating pins sit has snapped at the top. I assume the top part of this should somehow connect to the thumb-turn control. Since there is now no connection between the blades and the thumb-turn, the grille obviously won't open or close.:aargh4:

Unless I can get a replacement grille unit from a breakers, it looks like I'll need to replace the whole assembly after all, as I don't imagine I could buy either that one tiny piece or a single grille unit from a dealer.
You could try super glue or polystyrene cement. When you take it out try to find some butter knives to slide in and push the dash out of the clips, it will be a struggle, if you search there are some pics of a vent removed showing the clips, I cant remember where though.

fraser33
28-04-2008, 01:43 PM
You could try super glue or polystyrene cement.

The problem is, the top part of that small plastic strip (with the sets of double holes) is completely missing. It's probably fallen back down the pipe, so I think I'll really need to replace the whole unit, or at least the whole of the drivers side grille assembly.

grhdylan
28-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi , i have a set of vents which i'm going to sell on ebay soon, PM me if your intrested in buying a replacement .