PDA

View Full Version : A6 carpet removal

john493
18-12-2006, 12:18 PM
After unblocking the bulkhead drain, my carpets are still damp. Have lifted them & stuck in a fan heater for a couple of hours, but they are still damp.

How difficult is it to remove the carpet completely ? Assume the centre console has to come out, but Haynes don't explain this in any detail.

Is there anything else I should know before starting the job ?

Thanks

John
1996 Audi A6 1.9 TDI Avant

cam292
09-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi John,

Did you get anywhere with your carpet removal? I have a similar issue behind the drivers seat, but I cannot see anything coming in the doors so I think I might need to remove the carpet.

I've lifted it, but its so stiff with the trim intact that you cannot really see anything.

Cheers
Chris

john493
09-01-2008, 11:26 PM
No, I couldn't get the carpet out without taking the centre console, so I managed to dry it out with a fan heater - took ages though.
Make sure your bulkhead drains are clear though, or it will happen again !

cam292
10-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks John,

When you say the bulkhead do you mean the front dash area or the area under the rear seat as my wet carpet is in the rear behind the drivers seat?

Taking out the centre console is not too bad as I think I've removed that previously.

Thanks
Chris

john493
11-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Chris,
On my 1996 A6 estate, the drain was blocked with leaves - open the bonnet, unclip and hinge up the plastic cover that sits across the bottom of the windscreen. Then peer down on the left hand side and there's a rubber grommet-like drain tube. On my car this being blocked led to a flood in front footwells, mainly lhs but a bit in the driver's footwell too. (it was in exceptionally heavy and prolonged rain in the lake district)

If your car is dry in the front, unlikely this is the cause, more likely damaged door seals I'd have though !

If you want to discuss, give me a call on 07860 813004.

cam292
11-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks John,

I think I'll start my carpet removal from the rear and see how it goes. Interestingly I have had the same trouble in the front a few years back and fixed that as you suggested! You'd have thought these little niggles would have been sorted as Audi seem to have got the rest of it sorted!

See how I go.

Cheers
Chris