PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 airbag light

gilly_15
21-04-2008, 05:51 PM
hello
i am considering buying an Audi A3 2.0tdi DSG, but the airbag light is constantly on, i did not know whether this could be a costly job to fix?
can someone help please
thanks

gilly_15
21-04-2008, 05:53 PM
it is a 2004

MP_TT
21-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Mine came on on friday (2005 2.0TDi), I'm dreading taking it to the garage to have it looked at, rang one dealer today and was told it will take a couple of hours to have the fault diagnosed!

kenney
21-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi Before you buy the A3 you should demand a fault code read on the airbag system.to find out mostly if the car has been involved in an accident.It does not take 2 hours to read a diagnose.

gilly_15
21-04-2008, 07:07 PM
what could be the worst possible outcome?
could costs go into the hundreds to correct an error for an airbag light?

gilly_15
21-04-2008, 07:36 PM
is it an M.O.T failure the airbag light being on? or is it an advisory?

MP_TT
21-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Not an MOT failure, propably a faulty sensor or wiring, will cost a couple hundred quid to fix though me thinks!

TheEggShell
22-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Is the car a 3 door? If so...

The airbag sensors are under the passenger seat. Moving the seat forward and backward when people get in and out of the back can sometimes set the sensor off.

A simple rest of the fault code (£40ish at a garage or some beer tokens for a friendly Vag-Com owner) could well solve the problem. Of course, it could always be a geniune error in which case the fault code and warning light would re-appear.

One thing to bear in mind is that your airbags won't deploy when the warning light is on so I'd get it sorted sooner rather than later.

jazzindahouse
22-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Had the same problem on my A3 - it appears to be a common problem - if the VAG com owner finds the fault code and can ensure there is no movement in the wiring and the light goes - off - all well and good - but guaranteed it may come back - but worth paying £40 first for fault diagnosis - if there is a genuine problem - will need to rpelace the seat airbag - £250 - £350quid.

I was lucky - VAG com owner - twiddled around and did not reappear - but sold car few months later.

MP_TT
22-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm getting it checked by a mate with the diagnostic kit on thursday, hopefully just the sensor under the seat.

Spoke to a fella at work today who had same problem, £110 to diagnose fault and £200 to replace the wiring under the seat. He was told he was lucky, if it was a fault with an airbag it would be £1500!

gilly_15
22-04-2008, 11:15 PM
hello
supposedly the owner said it was a sensor under the seat i think which the part will cost around £80 then labour on top to fit it, but will this turn the airbag light off?
yes its a 3 door
thanks

TheEggShell
23-04-2008, 08:36 AM
hello
supposedly the owner said it was a sensor under the seat i think which the part will cost around £80 then labour on top to fit it, but will this turn the airbag light off?
yes its a 3 door
thanks

It might not be a faulty sensor, it could simply have been triggered off by accident. Try getting the fault code cleared by someone with a diagnostic kit (expect to pay £40 - £45) and see if that cures the problem.

It's always best to try the cheapest cure first :D

MP_TT
24-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Took it to mate tonight, diagnostic said faulty front airbag sensor (one by the headlight). He's going to order the part tomorrow (Audi only item, surprise surprise!).

I'll keep you posted!

ryanant
24-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I had the same fault on my TT and it cost £25 to fix from an independant VAG garage. Apparently a very common fault.

MP_TT
24-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Apparently it can be set off quite easily, but mine picked up a fault that couldn't be reset, malfunction in the front drivers side sensor.

MP_TT
27-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Emission system warning light on now, starting to wich I'd got rid of the car already!

Morale of the story - sell it before the warranty runs out!

gilly_15
01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
hello
i took it to my mechanic today it came up on his diagnostic as the front passenger side, he thinks most probably it is the sensor in the front bumper i think, therefore he is going to replace that sensor and see if it fixes the probleem with my airbag light. as he tried resetting it but it still came back!!!

vic4
07-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Is the car a 3 door? If so...

The airbag sensors are under the passenger seat. Moving the seat forward and backward when people get in and out of the back can sometimes set the sensor off.

A simple rest of the fault code (£40ish at a garage or some beer tokens for a friendly Vag-Com owner) could well solve the problem. Of course, it could always be a geniune error in which case the fault code and warning light would re-appear.

One thing to bear in mind is that your airbags won't deploy when the warning light is on so I'd get it sorted sooner rather than later.

i have this problem and it is caused because the wiring in the seat has dried out and stuff from being moved all the time. the guys at audi said they just need to take the seat panel off and spray it with something but that the airbags wont go off whilst the warning light is on..

MP_TT
10-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Got the air bag light 'extinguished'! Put a new crash sensor on by the headlight, £61!

The emissions system light is due to a faulty throttle sensor or something, build up of carbon in it, I'm giving it a good thrash round at the moment (within the legal speed limit obviously) to try and clear it out a bit!