PDA

View Full Version : Touareg 3.2 V6 Petrol Hunting

bigun1972
21-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi to everyone who was taken the time to read this. I have a problems with my car and its driving me potty. A couple of days ago the light shaped like an engine started to flash and then stay on. The power in the car became very weak as the days progressed so i ordered a vag com. Hooked the vag com up and it told me cylinder 6 was miss firing. I removed the coil pack and it was buggered. Swapped it with cylinder 1 to be sure and the car did not run. Reinstalled it on cylinder 6 and the car started to hunt. Bought a new coil pack and spark plug and installed. To my surprise the car statred to hunt and lack power. The revs also take a long time to build up. Checked again with vag com and yound 3 faults on the engine. The first one was injector 6 earth on ground. Can anyone help?

3 Faults Found:

16660 - Fuel Injector #6 (N84): Short to Ground

P0276 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

16657 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

P0273 - 002 - Please Register/Activate

16654 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

P0270 - 002 - Please Register/Activate

O When i removed the coil pack from number 6, the plastic had melted and the coil was exposed.

kenney
21-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi It would seem there is a fault with injector nr6 or the wiring loom.remove the contacts on 2or3 of the injectors and measure the resistance of the injector and compare it with nr6 to see if there is a differance

bigun1972
21-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi It would seem there is a fault with injector nr6 or the wiring loom.remove the contacts on 2or3 of the injectors and measure the resistance of the injector and compare it with nr6 to see if there is a differance

How do you get at the injectors? They are hidden by tons of plastic. If number 6 injector is U/S how do i change?

bigun1972
23-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Had the injectors out, but no differance in resistance. Going to swap 1 & 6 around and rebuild? Any more suggestions please?

kenney
23-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi check the voltage on contact 1 on the connector to N84 should be battery voltage. Check wire from ECU 121 multistick contact terminal 89 for short to earth

bigun1972
24-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi check the voltage on contact 1 on the connector to N84 should be battery voltage. Check wire from ECU 121 multistick contact terminal 89 for short to earth
If i get a 12v signal, does the injector need replacing?

kenney
24-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi No, that is the first stage of finding out what is wrong,you have the signal wire from the ECU pin 89 on the 121 pin connector,this wire runs to contact 2 on the 2 pin connector at the injector.You need to ohm this wire to make sure it is not running to earth.

bigun1972
28-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi No, that is the first stage of finding out what is wrong,you have the signal wire from the ECU pin 89 on the 121 pin connector,this wire runs to contact 2 on the 2 pin connector at the injector.You need to ohm this wire to make sure it is not running to earth.
There is no ignition spark on cylinders 4/5/6. The car is only running on the first 3 cylinders. I have looked at the wiring diagram and the coils are controled by the multitronic system. There is 2 relays powering up the multitronic system, can the engine run on 3 cylinders if one is faulty? Seems funny that i have no spark on 4/5/6 and they are wired together. Any ideas?

kenney
28-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi The coils have a couple of things in common. ohm the earth contacts on the 4 pin connectors on the coils. Contact 1 brown on green wire and contact 2 a brown wire,these should be earthed.Have you a 12v reading on contact 3 on all 3 coils.If you have a diode lamp check first on the cyls that are firing, contact 4 and compare this with the signals on contact 4 of the dead coils.Can it be possible all three coils are buggerd.Have you had the multistick contact off the ECU,you have a possibily there.You have a wiring diagram check the voltage in to the ECU from both relays although i dont think that is the problem.

kenney
28-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Just found a link that tells me the 3 fault codes you have relate to cyl 4,5,6 short to ground.Ok you need to remove the multistick connector on the ECU and ohm contact 4 on all 3 coils to make sure they are not shortening to ground

bigun1972
28-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi The coils have a couple of things in common. ohm the earth contacts on the 4 pin connectors on the coils. Contact 1 brown on green wire and contact 2 a brown wire,these should be earthed.Have you a 12v reading on contact 3 on all 3 coils.If you have a diode lamp check first on the cyls that are firing, contact 4 and compare this with the signals on contact 4 of the dead coils.Can it be possible all three coils are buggerd.Have you had the multistick contact off the ECU,you have a possibily there.You have a wiring diagram check the voltage in to the ECU from both relays although i dont think that is the problem.
I have swapped the coils around and that is not the problem. Same thing happens when i swap over the 3 coils with cylinders 1,2,3. The vag com is telling me that fuel injectors 4,5,6 are shorted to earth but i have checked the old fashioned way and there is no spark at the ignition coils for these cylinders. On the flow chart i can see that the multitronic system controls cylinders 1,2,3 sepratally from 4,5,6. I will check with my meter tomorrow to see if a 12v signal is present but i dont think there wil be. I have not touched the ECU. I have pulled out relay 53 and the car ran the same then pulled out relay 167 and the car would not turn over.

kenney
28-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I have to ask you this it, might be stupid, but do you know which cyl is which?I have been wrecking my brain trying to find a solution to your problem.I was thinking what if the fault with the injectors is telling the ECU that there is a short,and the ECU is disconnecting the signals to the coils??????????????????what do you think.

bigun1972
28-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I have to ask you this it, might be stupid, but do you know which cyl is which?I have been wrecking my brain trying to find a solution to your problem.I was thinking what if the fault with the injectors is telling the ECU that there is a short,and the ECU is disconnecting the signals to the coils??????????????????what do you think.
Cylinder 6 is at the bulk head. I have been thinking to. I think that the ECU has stopped all signal to the 3 cylinders because of the original damage to number 6 ignition coil? This problem only started when i removed the damaged coil from number 6. If thats the case, how do i reset the ECU? Nothing on vag com, can i disconect the battery? Just seems strange that all this happened after i removed a damaged coil from number 6 cylinder. The original vag com message was number 6 cylinder miss firing. Going to try testing contact 4 tomorrow. What do you think?

kenney
29-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi As well i asked you send your e-mail address and i will send you a diagram of the cyls

bigun1972
29-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi As well i asked you send your e-mail address and i will send you a diagram of the cyls
Hi Kenny i have sent my address to you. Do the diagrams differ from the VW workshop manual? Got VW's group complete work shop software on my lap top.

bigun1972
29-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi Kenny i have sent my address to you. Do the diagrams differ from the VW workshop manual? Got VW's group complete work shop software on my lap top. Is there any chance the ECU may be knackered?

bigun1972
29-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi As well i asked you send your e-mail address and i will send you a diagram of the cylsHi Kenny, looks like the ECU is faulty. Took it around my mates garage and they were the first words out of his gob. Going to test it to be sure. Any ideas on repair or replacement prices? Thanks for your help it was most welcome.