PDA

View Full Version : Hello - A3:1998:Oil & Rear Shocks change?

mahendraptl
18-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi,

i'm new to the forum and have just acquired an A3 1998 1.8T Sport. All my other A3's have been company cars and this will be my 1st personal acquistion! :(
Anyway, i have 2 questions:
the oil needs changing and wondering whats best? get Audi to do it and prepare to lose arm & leg? or do it myself using Silkolene 5W/40 at £45 for 5L?
also with the rear of the car - i can feel all bumps and vibrations. I've called a Audi independant mechanic and he tells me over the fone that it could be the rear axle bushes. A mechanic has had a look and says that their ok and that the shocks need replacing? so wot next? Audi parts dept' charge £44 just for the for the sport version shocks. Eurocarparts charge £88 for Bilstein? should i get both bushes & shocks replaced?

oh and 1 more question: at what mileage does the cam belt need changing?

all idea's/suggestions would be greatly received.

cheers
mahendra

Boardboy
22-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Any good oil that has VW503.01 spec should be ok. I have shell helix in my Audi at the moment but will probably change to Mobil 1 at the next change. I would change it yourself if you can.
As for the shocks I'm sure the Audi ones will be fine. Would you notice the differance of the Bilsteins?
If you've just got the car and aren't sure when the cam belt was done. Get it changed, it's big bucks if it lets go. If it's over five years or 60k, change it.
Regards Boardboy

mahendraptl
22-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi & thanks for this. the oil change seems simple enough - i hope so. also i cant see myself doing any track racing so i think the Audi shocks will suffice. thanks for advice, much appreciated.