PDA

View Full Version : tow bar

richard t
21-04-2008, 01:47 PM
is there a tow bar out there that doesn't involve cutting the rear bumper. mine is leased and the lease company say i can fit one as long as it's removed after 3 years. they say it will reduce it's resale value.

james_tiger_woo
21-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm not convinced it'd reduce the resale value.....

PNS2007
21-04-2008, 09:49 PM
From my prior knowledge when I was looking for a tow bar, there wasn't one that could be fitted without some form of cutting to the lower valance. The lower valence themselves are only about £50 and don't look too difficult to fit. The lower valence is the black stippled part of the bumper that fits (clips) onto the painted part (just incase you didn't know!).

If you do intend to take the tow bar off when you send the car back make sure the tow bar fitters give you the re-inforcing member which is removed and substituted for the actual towbar.

richard t
22-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't think it would reduce the resale either. most cars of this type are bought with towing in mind. If the lower valance is only 50 quid then it's not the end of the world to replace it. cheers. i might be doing it my self anyway. is there a connection near the rear light s to connect the trailer lights to. i assume this is a canbus system on the new passat.

cappuccino
17-05-2008, 08:54 PM
HI Richard t, this is my very first posting, I have just spent a whole week fitting a towbar and "can - bus" electrics kit - ( I,m retired and have the time) because I think to get a "proffesional" to do the job for you would cost £100,s & £100,s - But it has been a real pain in the rear !!!! Towbar -fine ( detachable and lower vallance fitted with replacement VW one with a centre panel to fill the hole when towball is removed) But Ohh -the electrics :zx11: !! Had to take out all the boot trim - and the door kick trim along te offside to feed the wiring into the fuse box right of steering wheel and then the worst bit was finding three wires in the wiring loom just above the accellerator pedal ( had to take out the driving seat) and in my search for the correct wires - broke one! (Quite a lot of the wires are very fine as they only carry data signals) but I,ve managed it eventually . I still need to test if all is working as it should and am praying that I won,t need to go to VW to have a computer re-configure-- I,ll let you know. I bought the car for towing and after this hassle and CAN BUS I have thought have I made a mistake ???

PNS2007
17-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Cappuccino, I did alot of research on this and posted the tow bar subject a while back. You will unfotunately have to take it to VW or someone with can-bus equipment as the trailer stability program will need to be activated in the ecu. The ESP on the Passat is not designed for towing a tonne plus behind it and the car was designed with this feature so why not use it.

Saying that, I was not confident to do it so I fully respect your install.

I have the 2.0 TDI sport 170 and its great for towing.

Welcome to the forum

cappuccino
20-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Went to local VW dealership ---- they will start up the TSP and some other setting -- cost £65 !! How,s that !:D

airspark
24-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi all this is my first posting i've recently swapped my MB c200 kompressor estate for a 2006 20tdi se estate. I fitted a towbar and electrics in a afternoon all the wiring can be found on both sides of the estate rear using the 12v supply (off side) to supply the lighting relay and aux relay(if required)via individual fuses. Both relays plus 13 pin socket with 2M lead are available from Indespension outlets cost about £75. Towed my 8.5m twin axle caravan to Henly on Thames from the midlands last week no problem although i still prefare rear wheel drive.