PDA

View Full Version : Using VAG-Com with 1996 MK3 Golf TDI

sebring
21-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Hiya

This is my first post here - so take it easy on me pls :o)

Anyway - i have a 1996 golf tdi - has a chip on it, and has done around 160k miles.

About 6 months ago, the turbo went and i was going to upgrade it at the same time but could not get hold of all the parts i needed so i got a second hand turbo from a 1999 Seat (still AHU engine) and bolted it up recently.

The car drive fine last weekend when i finished the job albeit a bit smoky from the oil in the exhaust but this soon cleared out.

Anyway - i parked the car up as i hadnt connected up all the vaccuum pipes (couldnt remember where they went!)

I went to start it this weekend and it turns over fine but doesnt power up.

I put on my VAG-Com (3.11 shareware) with my ebay lead (worked ok on my mums 2002 polo) but i cant get it to read anything off the ecu. It detects it ok but nothing else.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get it to connect? I also tried an obd2 scanner and that couldnt link up either!

Also - can anyone tell me which vaccuum pipes go where?

Thanks

Q

Theresias
21-04-2008, 06:56 PM
OBD2 doesn't work on European models before 2001/2004, so this is no indication at all. You may want to contact your hardware/cable supplier, they should be able to tell you the most common issues with their product.