PDA

View Full Version : 1.9Tdi 115hp or 2.0Tdi 140 bhp??

hoff
21-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Greetings all - I have a lovely Silver 06' Avant with the 2.0tdi 140bhp engine 27K on the clock - but it is really rather thirsty (even with the wife driving!) I am also disappointed with this car as so far I have had the new steering rack fitted - to absolutly not avail, I have had new idler pullies as my belt went as I was driving along at 70mph and I lost power steering, I have had to have the valves remapped by the dealer and I have used enough oil to keep OPEC happy, generally I am having a love hate relationship.

I was thinking of changing it for a newer model - BUT for the 1.9Tdi 115bhp version - thinking younger car, higher spec, better MPG, lower insurance and emissions - more for the money and I get rid of my Friday night model. Ok i lose some HP but not that much! Anyone got any thoughts or comparisions of the two engines? Am I being stupid? Be honest!

Cheers

JR

John140
23-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I think you must have a real dud there. I have an 07 plate tdi 140 Avant and appart from takin a good while to 'bed-in' mine has been okay on oil and in general. Granted fuel cosumption on this 2,0 TDIO engine is a bit 'challenged' compared to the 1.9, but now the weather is warmer, I am gettingaround 46 MPG on a motorway run at 80 ish. Never had any power steering problems, other than snatchyness on the rubbish pot-holed roads in my area, and most people say thsat this will improve when I replace my almost worn out front tyres.

SINGHY
24-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your mpg problems etc but I have an 07 140 tdi s line multitronic and yesterday I drove 200 miles up the M1 at around 70 - 75mph and got 54mpg no kidding! and earlier I did about 300 miles and it averaged 50.1 mpg. I'm really keen on mpg especially these days and am well chuffed wih my new A4.

hoff
24-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey guys, cheers for your thoughts and it does confirm my thinking that my car is a bit of a dud! I have been quoted 3K to change to a October 07 1.9TDi with GSM, DVD satnav and all the toys with just 5,600 miles. Feel kinda tempted.

Squirrel
28-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Not sure how relevant... but here's my £0.02 anyway.

I have a 56-plate B7 A4 Quattro, the 2.0 TDI 170bhp version.

Quoted MPG is 42 combined. I get around that on a motorway trip, about 35mpg around town.

My present commute to work goes up a steep hill and round some twisty (but wide) roads. The temptation to make full use of the Quattro system is just too great, I average about 27mpg on this run!

hoff
28-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Squirrel - you are a lucky lucky man - but making mention of 170Bhp and quattro to a man thinking of downgrading to 115bhp is pretty cruel!

Cheers

Squirrel
28-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm on my third A4 (fourth Audi, first one was an A3 1.8 petrol).

First one I had was a Y-reg (2001) 1.9 TDI 130. Denim Blue pearlescent, navy blue cloth interior. Lovely drive but tended to eat front tyres.

Replaced this with a 2003 (52-plate) 1.9 TDI 130 Quattro. Same exterior colour, dark grey cloth interior. Not quite as quick in a straight line as the FWD model but 4WD meant you could more than make that time up through the bends. Managed to write it off (don't ask, I really liked that car!)

Replaced with 2006 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro in Quartz Grey (the one I have now).

I had a couple of FWD 2.0 TDI 140s as courtesy cars, I found they torque steer quite badly. The newer ones seem better but the 2005 models pull sharply to the left if you accelerate hard. The Quattro of course doesn't do this.

Strangely enough the FWD A3 with the 2.0 TDI 170 engine doesn't pull to one side like this. Neither does the A6. I'd initially put this down to the extra weight of the A6 stabilising the car, but then when I drove an A3 and found that didn't pull either there must be something else happening.

My theory is this. The A6 is heavier and has the battery in the boot, therefore is less susceptible to pulling to one side. The A3 has a transverse engine so is set up more optimally for FWD.

The last 2.0 140 FWD A4 I drove didn't have the problem, so I guess they've now fixed it.