PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3

stevepil
17-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi All

I am new to this and new to Audis, I am currently purchasing an Audi A3 - 2001, petrol, 1.8, 27000 miles for £6888. When do the timing belts need changing, the garage have advised its 60k but my current car (Rover) :( had to be changed after 5 years, any one know?

The car is in immaculate condition, anyone also know what sort of mpg to expect from this car? and any problems with it to watch

Thanks all
Steve

RickT
23-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Audi did say when the car was realeased 80k... however this has been bought forward to 60k for all models due to a few issue back on the B5 with poor belts..

Most car manafactures reccomend 5 years or mileage, which ever comes first for wear and tear purpsose to cover there own back..
however if the cars looked after and driven respectfully it will be ok for longer than 5 years... however not hold me on that.. is upto you when you change it..

Cheers

RickT

stevepil
24-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the reply, I got the garage to change the belt in the end, apparently it was in good condition, I have however noticed in the haynes manual it says "Audi recommend the tensioner is changed when belt is done on 1.8 version" I have a 1.8 but dont think this was done, do you think this could be critical with only 28k on the clock? its due a service in Feb I assume this is checked automatically anyway?
One other question my current audi does not have a trip computer ie the mpg calculator etc, do you know if you can have it installed and what sort of costs I would be looking at?
Thanks,
Steve

RickT
24-12-2006, 04:37 PM
The reason why they recomend the tensioner is changed as you may as well do it while the have the engine striped down... with only 27k on the clock im sure it will be ok..

Cheers

RickT

stevepil
24-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks again, do you know what sort of mpg to expect from the Audi, mainly urban driving
thanks

RickT
24-12-2006, 06:17 PM
1.8.. about 30 MPG urban.. no cars good when in the city..

Cheers

RickT

stevepil
24-12-2006, 11:04 PM
thats quite good, only got 28 out my old car, I had the garage put a full tank in when I first got it, only driven 70 miles since and had cam belt changed and topped up today due to xmas etc and it took 15 ltrs, thats worked out mpg of 21, which I thought was pretty crap, not sure why it would be so low? any ideas, another thing ive noticed when driving at 70 the revs are just below 4000, not sure if this is normal for an A3, rhanks for your help, have a great xmas

RickT
25-12-2006, 12:40 AM
it totally on the drivng style and with it been urban theres a lot of stop/start.. my A4 drinks fuel for fun around town.. however once you get some miles behind you on the motorway you will soon see that improve..

What fuel are you using?? the reason i ask is i get an extra 60 miles per tank average out of 97 unleaded or opitmax compared to 95 unleaded, and come also tell a differance mid range.

RickT

stevepil
25-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks, I usually just use the standard unleaded, cant believe doing this on xmas day :) my main concern is the revs sitting at 4000 at 70mph, my old car only sat at 3000 so wasnt sure if this was normal or if this could be reason for high petrol, as the mpg I quoted abo ve was a mixture of driving, soem local and some on a roads at 70mph with revs at 4000, not even sure what to look for if it is the problem
thanks again