PDA

View Full Version : my radio

paul lemole
17-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I have a 1997 Audi Q A 6. I purchased it used. The radio works except i can not get an AM station. When I went to buy a new radio; same result. No AM reception. The radio terch siad whoever put the aftermarket radio in was sloppy and wiring was a mess. He tried to get the AM station reception but no avail. He tlod me it was my antenna, and since I have the anteens inside my rear window, he referred me to my Audi dealer. Any help would be appreciated. At least a diagnosis? thanks in advance

Froggy
19-12-2006, 11:57 AM
What radio is in the car at the moment?

It sounds as if it's an after-market unit and is probably not powering up the aerial amplifiers properly. The factory radio sends 12v down the centre core of the aerial lead to power up the aerial amplifier.

You can get an adapter that will do this for you, but if the wiring is a mess anyway, I would get it properly installed and get the adapter fitted at the same time.

paul lemole
23-12-2006, 01:11 AM
It is a JVC. Looks and sounds like a good radio.

If u can help, Where would I get the information about how the Audi antenna is powered up and how it works?

Thanks for your ist response:1zhelp:

Froggy
03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
The sort of adapter you need is like this one;

http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Installation_Accessories/Aerial_Adapters/Audi_Aerial_Adapter

I think with a bit of shopping round you can probably get one locally, Halfords' etc.

1truegeordie
27-01-2007, 05:43 PM
i had the same problem with a sony radio in my vw sharan,fitted a signal booster to aerial problem solved it cost me £10