PDA

View Full Version : Stop/Start for increased fuel economy

moptisam2
21-04-2008, 07:15 AM
I was watching a review of the new A4 Avant on a German car programme a couple of days ago.

It was mentioned that, to increase fuel economy, Audi will introduce the stop/start technology (I think that means the engine automatically switches off, eg, at lights), next year. There was no mention of when next year. As the reporter said "If you can wait until then....".

I can't, my new A4 SHOULD be built the end of next month, then to me at the end of June.

mkc
21-04-2008, 08:05 AM
my current BMW does this (A4 S Line coming end of the summer!) and it does take some getting use too.

Very good idea though and if it means cheaper bills for us, great

HODG
21-04-2008, 11:36 AM
That sounds really annoying? so you stop at traffic lights for a while and your engine turns off? next thing you know you've been had off the lights by a 17year old in his Nova and Grandma Ethal in her Ford Granada while your starting your engine up ! ;)

mkc
21-04-2008, 12:00 PM
It does take some getting use too. Put the handbrake on and sit in neutral and off she goes, as soon as you press the clutch it will start again so its not that obvious, but if you sit with the footbrake on and in first it will stay on.

We still racing novas!?

HODG
21-04-2008, 12:06 PM
ha ha , there are plent of little scroats around with Nova's near me who think they are Schumacher, i wouldnt say RACING is the word, you cant race something that far behind you can you ;-)

it sounds a good idea for fuel economy but surely it cant make that much difference, is it an extra you have to pay for? its a bit like the hillstart brake gimmick you can add on where you keep your foot on the brake for a few seconds, lift it off and the car stays put. ? just keep your foot on the brake !

i cant wait for my new S-Line now , eager to see the first ones that arrive on here, mine wont be here until june unfortunately :-(

moptisam2
21-04-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't know if it will be a priced option. It was just a comment from the person doing the piece on the Avant. It will probably just be one of a few aspects in an attempt to improve fuel economy.

I think that Audi has realised that it must do something to increase fuel economy, now that VW has Blue Motion and BMW Efficient Dynamics. I don't think Merc are too bothered. When I went to the Bradford Merc dealer and asked about fuel economy on a new C class, I confirmed the rep's idea that I was just something he had stepped in.

Talking about Nova drivers. When doing the rounds for my new A4, I was mentioning to one salesman what excellent fuel economy I get from my present A4 2.0 TDI, well above what Audi themselves advertise. He asked how I do it. I said that I don't really push the accelerator, unless there's a little *hit in a Nova behind me - especially if I can see him in my mirror weaving left and right waiting to get past - and driving too close!