PDA

View Full Version : Passat B5 Heated rear screen & mirrors?

TDi_B5
17-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi all, :1zhelp:

Can anyone else relate to this? My Passat TDi Saloon has a heated rear screen, but it takes ages to clear, around 8 to 10 mins infact, I usually end up wiping it down myself (as they are without a wiper). Are they all like this?? This morning for example, the screen was covered in lots of water droplets and this hadn't cleared by the end of my journey. It does work though, if the inside gets steamed up, the mist on the inside of the window does clear. According to my vw handbook, the mirrors are also heated and they are activated by the same switch. However, the mirrors never clear if they are damp or have condensation on them. Is there anything I can do, or is there anything I have overlooked? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Lex Luthor
17-12-2006, 04:54 PM
The mirror heating is not on the same switch.
There is a position on the mirror joystick for heating.

TDi_B5
17-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Ok, thanks for that, but how do you tell when the heated mirrors are on? Is there a light or any other indication? Also, I wouldn't call the mirror adjuster a 'joystick' as its a flat panel that tilts four ways? (up, down, left & right) I've seen the 'joystick' type adjusters on lower spec models with non electric mirrors. Just to make sure we're on the same page! Mine are electric by the way. I read a similar post and someone suggested that the heated elements burn out, so I suppose it could be that.

Adam

Lex Luthor
18-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Ok, thanks for that, but how do you tell when the heated mirrors are on? Is there a light or any other indication?

No such luck

I read a similar post and someone suggested that the heated elements burn out, so I suppose it could be that.

If the elements have failed, which they do on older B5s, it will log a code in the CCM.
You can test by popping out the mirror glass and checking the element for continuity.

Rgds

MalcQV
18-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi all, :1zhelp:

Can anyone else relate to this? My Passat TDi Saloon has a heated rear screen, but it takes ages to clear, around 8 to 10 mins infact, I usually end up wiping it down myself (as they are without a wiper). Are they all like this?? This morning for example, the screen was covered in lots of water droplets and this hadn't cleared by the end of my journey. It does work though, if the inside gets steamed up, the mist on the inside of the window does clear. According to my vw handbook, the mirrors are also heated and they are activated by the same switch. However, the mirrors never clear if they are damp or have condensation on them. Is there anything I can do, or is there anything I have overlooked? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Once I get to about 50, the airflow usually clears the rear glass of droplets. You are right it takes donkeys to clear with the RWH.

However my door mirrors clear rather quickly, though as mentioned they operate from the door mirror joystick. From top, three positions clockwise RHS mirror adjust, Heater & LHS mirror adjust.

Gavin78
18-12-2006, 03:57 PM
The outside of my '98 passat rear window also takes an age to clear and find it only clears after driving for a few minutes at speed. However I have just started using Rain-X from halfords which has significantly improved visibility and time to clear, works well of the wing mirrors too.

ImolaOrange
20-12-2006, 08:32 PM
However my door mirrors clear rather quickly, though as mentioned they operate from the door mirror joystick. From top, three positions clockwise RHS mirror adjust, Heater & LHS mirror adjust.

Sorry if I sound like a dumb ***, but can you explain how to turn the heated mirrors on again please. Just picked up a 1997 Passat Sport and couldnt work out how to turn them on.
Thanks
Alan

MalcQV
21-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Sorry if I sound like a dumb ***, but can you explain how to turn the heated mirrors on again please. Just picked up a 1997 Passat Sport and couldnt work out how to turn them on.
Thanks
Alan

Mine may be different being a 52 plate. I will take a photo and add it tonight, as I have no way of getting the photos off my phone at work.

That said it is obvious. Knurled knob, clearly marked RHS Mirror - Heated - LHS Mirror

On mine like every other control it is lit clearly up at night :D Never seen so many lights on a dash before, looks like Xmas!!!

MalcQV
21-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Not the best quality but it should show enough. Switch in heater pos.

ImolaOrange
22-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for doing that.
Ours has a slightly different joystick. Its just a flat circle where you press the edges down. The left and right selector are 2 separate buttons, so I would have thought the heater button be between them.
I'm going to pop the mirror off and look for wires to be 100% sure. I suspect that they are busted, or the car really doesnt have them.

Thanks very much for your help!

adamss24
22-12-2006, 07:43 PM
The heated mirrors will come on when you turn the rear screen heater/demister on your particular model, on some audis will come on when you have the mirror selector switch in the middle and when the rear demister button is pressed on.

ImolaOrange
22-12-2006, 08:04 PM
The heated mirrors will come on when you turn the rear screen heater/demister on your particular model, on some audis will come on when you have the mirror selector switch in the middle and when the rear demister button is pressed on.

Thanks thats promising. If they are burnt out or need a new fuse etc then I can cope with fixing that. The car is so well equipped I'd be amazed if they didnt have them.

Alan

minty0_10
23-12-2006, 12:16 AM
strange im i the only one with a good rear demister? mine clear in under 10 minuets:biglaugh:

97 110 se

ImolaOrange
23-12-2006, 10:12 AM
strange im i the only one with a good rear demister? mine clear in under 10 minuets:biglaugh:

97 110 se

Our rear screen demister is great aswell. its the heated door mirrors I've been asking about.

ImolaOrange
23-12-2006, 01:45 PM
I've removed both mirrors and found that there are wires leading to them, so they are heated.
I tested the wires and they do get power, so I guess the mirrors are at fault here. I bet they arent cheap!