PDA

View Full Version : Service history

shamo
20-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi all new to the forum and looking for help. Just bought an Aud A4 1.9 tdi 115 sept 2004. Its covered 133k which I know isn't much but the service history is patchy and not with audi Paid £5,500 so it was cheap enough. Question is this, is there a way of interogating the on board computer to see if its had any faults or anything? Was hoping there was some secret combination of buttons which would let me access some info!

The car says nxt service due 5,700 miles but I'm aware that the service light could have been re-set in a second without actually serviving the car at all.

Also states cambelt was changed around 10k ago, is there anyway of proving this or is it a leap of faith?

Thanks guys.

kenney
20-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi If the vehicle has been serviced in a VAG workshop,they have the complete service history,on their database.At the same time if you have a service book which has a VAG stamp for each service,this would be genuine.There is no way to check the vehicles history by the onboard control unit.

shamo
20-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks, I'll contact audi on monday and keep my fingers crossed. I would of thought it would have at least some Audi history as part of the purchase agreement? Say first 2 years free servicing??

RickT
24-04-2008, 12:16 AM
VAG-COM will read your faults codes... (see our VAG-COM section)

Service history....

IF you have paper work for the cam belt you can trust it... or get it done again ensuring the water pump was done at the same time!

Rick

shamo
24-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. I rang Audi and it turns out the car has full audi history upto 112000 so only20k or one audi service missing which I will prob get done soon.

As for the cam-belt i haven't heard from the seller yet so if nothing by friday I'll start booking it in for belt and pump.

Cheers.

kenney
24-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Also states cambelt was changed around 10k ago, is there anyway of proving this or is it a leap of faith? If this is in your service book with the company VAG stamp then it is trust worthy

jasonleen
24-04-2008, 09:41 PM
open the cam belt cover and see if there is alot of dust on the belt. if so and it looks old get yourself a new one fitted. better safe than sorry mate ;)

shamo
26-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Do I need to drop the front of the car off to get access to the cambelt cover or can I do it in situ? Any links to pic guide would be fantastic. Cheers.

bez101
26-04-2008, 12:50 PM
remove full bumper then pull front end forward when u took all bolts out then theres enough access

shamo
26-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Ok will gice it a go. Its my first time working on an Audi, do you need a special cradle to hold the front end? I take it therer's no picture guide?
Cheers.

kenney
26-04-2008, 03:45 PM
You do not have to remove the bumper to check the timing belt

shamo
26-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi, any tips? I take it I can release the spring clips on the plastic cover then??
As I'm very new to audi 's any guidance would be really appreciated!

Just discovered the ECON light won't go out and as result no aircon! Wouldn't mind but its quite warm today. Sod's law I guess.

Thanks in advance.

kenney
26-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Yes thats right the 2 clips,but you dont have to remove the cover completely,just lift it a bit and pull it forward enough, so that you can see the belt.Sometimes the control bottons on the climate control can be a bit faulty,i have taken them apart and used some electrical spray on the contacts.Try tapping the econ button

kite
26-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi, any tips? I take it I can release the spring clips on the plastic cover then??
As I'm very new to audi 's any guidance would be really appreciated!

Just discovered the ECON light won't go out and as result no aircon! Wouldn't mind but its quite warm today. Sod's law I guess.

Thanks in advance.
If the A/C wont switch to AUTO this normally means the system needs a regas.
This protects the compressor, stops it running when there is no pressure.

shamo
27-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Just taken the timing belt inspection cover off. Very easy indeed. Not sure what to look for other than dust and obvious cracking. I took a pic but too big to upload. PM your email and if you've got time you cld have a peep for me?