PDA

View Full Version : Instrument light bulb replacement!

theenglishman
17-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Help!

How do I replace the bulb which lights up the instrument cluster?
Do I access it from underneath or take the dash off - or am I missing something? Advice greatly appreciated from someone who knows more than I do!

regards

the Englishman

brd
18-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I would appreciate this info too... when I got the car a bulb was gone for the speedo... and I asked them to have it fixed... it appeared they just took a bulb from the temp gauge! So I said the temp guage was gone now, and then they took the bulb from the clock. I got tired with such rubbish ... and still need to change the clock bulb. So help would be appreciated.

chrispey
19-12-2006, 10:25 PM
you need to take the clocks out to acess the bulbs. first remove the steering wheel. then the plastic housing round the indicator stalks (there are two screws on the underside of the houseing. when this is removed you will be able to see to screws which hold the instrument cluster in. youn will now be able to pull the clocks forward aand unclip the wiring. on the back of the clusyter you will be able to see small black or white (cant remember) bulb holders turn these ninety dgress and pull to remove them. hope this makes sense guys

adamss24
19-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Guys, get the HAYNES WORKSHOP MANUAL as you dealing with the airbag and that is an explosive device and there are things that may get wrong if you never done that before or have no mechanical skills ! Go to a garage if in doubt. Also the spigot ring MUST NOT be rotated when you remove the steering wheel. With a bit of persuation, the clocks may came off without pulling the steering wheel but you will need someone with small hands to unclip the conectors on the back of the dash clocks.

theenglishman
20-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys. The Haynes manual seems to finish about 1988, and mines a 1993 Sport model. Sorry should have mentioned this before. Pulling the clocks out looks like major hassle - are you sure I cannot access from underneath, where parcel shelves etc look easy to pulll out? Don't fancy pulling the steering wheel off!!

Thanks

msond
20-12-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't think you can access the clocks from underneath. I replaced a couple of bulbs myself and found it quite easy. My car does not have an airbag.

Before I took the steering wheel off, I made sure the wheels were pointing straight, put some masking tape on the steering wheel and the housing at the bottom (easier to line up when replacing steering wheel). The rest as chrispey has outlined below. The fiddley bit is removing the clips. The plugs only go back into the holes you unclip them from and, ensuring you do not plug them in the wrong way round.

fuelforlife
20-12-2006, 10:13 AM
I never take my steering wheel off and I take my dash out all the time. It takes a little persuasion, but it'll come! Unless of course you have less room than I do. :o

fuelforlife
20-12-2006, 07:24 PM
May i ask why ???
The answer to that, my friend, is located HERE (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=10715#post10715).

Long story short, my instrument gauges sometimes don't work.

fuelforlife
20-12-2006, 07:32 PM
oh boy dont you just love motors :biglaugh:
Oh totally.. :banghead:

theenglishman
21-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Probably a silly question, but I haven't doen this for a long, long time. Longet than I care to remember actually!