PDA

View Full Version : A4 TDI Multitronic GEARBOX Problem HELP!

bluedna
17-12-2006, 03:20 AM
Dear All :

I have a NEW AUDI A4 AVANT TDI with Multitronic (2006 model).
The milage is only 8500 KM only. I have suffered a problem that
when I start the car in the morning without warming out the woking
temperature, the automatic gearbox could not get above third gear.
That means I have to drive slower or the engine will easily over
3000 RPM, it's nosiy and let me feel uncomfortable. I aslo leave my
car in AUDI's service site to let them check it after cooling down.
But they tell me there is nothing wrong and I get my car back.
I still now suffer the problem when I drive it every morning especially
when the temperature is lower here.
Does any one suffere the same problem like me or you may give me
some advise and help. Thanks for your help.

PS : I am a new member !

:zx11:

Froggy
19-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I think this is normal until the gearbox oil has warmed up slightly.

I have the 2.5TDi Multitronic and it's the same when cold for about 2-3 minutes, you need a lot more revs than when it's warmed up. I have driven a 2.0 Petrol FSi and it was the same.

jjt5
21-12-2006, 09:04 PM
;) Hi, I have a 51 plate 2.0 petrol. It had been in 3 times for problems ranging from hesitant starts at junctions, acceration problems and clunking into reverse (like taking up slack). After telling me it was normal also, they eventually gave in and replaced the multi tronic valve block. This did the trick and no problems since for 15k. I guess they are reluctant to admit this as it was under warranty and cost Audi £1150 all in (including £138.00 worth of gearbox oil!). Stick to your guns and get them to take it off & check the valve clearances, this will tell you if its 'U S' or not.
Cheers

john

USA car junkie
26-12-2006, 01:42 PM
;) Hi, I have a 51 plate 2.0 petrol. It had been in 3 times for problems ranging from hesitant starts at junctions, acceration problems and clunking into reverse (like taking up slack). After telling me it was normal also, they eventually gave in and replaced the multi tronic valve block. This did the trick and no problems since for 15k. I guess they are reluctant to admit this as it was under warranty and cost Audi £1150 all in (including £138.00 worth of gearbox oil!). Stick to your guns and get them to take it off & check the valve clearances, this will tell you if its 'U S' or not.
Cheers

john

Could this also be a problem with my Passat 05 TDI Tiptronic Automatic gearbox. Car jerks somethimes when siting in traffic and when I am parking, going from D to R (reverse) few times while manuvering into the parking space. It never hapens while car is cold. ????

jjt5
26-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Sounds like the same thing to me. Mine did it wether cold or warm. My mate reckons you are using the same gearbox. Audi are slow to admit problems and change them. Id say get your valve block checked out!

jjt5
26-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Almost forgot, the fact yours doesnt do it when cold could be proof of the valve block problem. It is a valve tolerance issue. When your car (and transmission fluid is cold) your clearance tlerances may be there abouts. When its warm, expansion will occur and the tolerances are exasparated and the problem occurs. You could be in the early stages.

gavinj
14-02-2007, 09:32 AM
I have a 2006 A4 Multitronic and i find that when the car is cold the revs seem to jump quite a lot, i.e. i will be driving at around 1800 revs and ill slightly put my foot on the excellerator and the revs would shoot up to 2500 then settle down again.

After around 18 munites of driving it settles down and drives normally. I wondered if it had anything to do with the choke?

USA car junkie
14-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I have a 2006 A4 Multitronic and i find that when the car is cold the revs seem to jump quite a lot, i.e. i will be driving at around 1800 revs and ill slightly put my foot on the excellerator and the revs would shoot up to 2500 then settle down again.

After around 18 munites of driving it settles down and drives normally. I wondered if it had anything to do with the choke?

I am not sure about choke. The new cars do not have one since EFI came into mass production circa 1987.
Not to long ago I have seen in National Highway Safety web site, re: recalls, that some owner have been having a problems with passat surging for no reason. It may help you in your search to remedy the issue.

As far as my car, the repair and investigation has been overseen by VW of UK. Car has been at garage two weeks ago and again no problem.
Thay did found issue with radio only after I had to mention it. However that radio has been acting up for at least half a year. So if there was a fault with a radio before, theoreticaly it should have been recorded into "magic black box that saves all the faults" but it did not. They never told me that radio would need raplacing until I have told them about problem.
I am 100% sure it has something to do with that valve block in conjuction with brake sensor, the sensor the will not let you move lever from P into any gear selection. And it onlu hapens after 1-2 hours of city driving.

The car had leak from AC discharge pipe, which I have found and had to point out to a dealer, after reading about the problem on this forum.
THANK YOU ALL for that. I thas been fixed.
I am not sure about long term effect that it had on any electronic components in the car.

That's all for know will post more as it comes.........

USA car junkie
14-02-2007, 11:42 AM
My passat is old shape 05, but I am not sure if they share same gearbox. I would not doubt that. I would have it check at your local VW garage.

Good luck...

Froggy
15-02-2007, 12:15 PM
The Passat has never been fitted with the Multitronic box. In fact, to the best of my knowledge it has never made it in to any VW branded car.

a4god2ulot
18-02-2007, 11:03 PM
The Passat has never been fitted with the Multitronic box. In fact, to the best of my knowledge it has never made it in to any VW branded car.

thats rite they never put them in vw the only cars there in is a4 a6 a8 audis.