PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 2.0Tdi shuddering at idle!!

parry46
20-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi

In february this year i bought a 2004 A3 2.0TDi (58k). Just after recieving it i noticed it was shuddering when at idle.

When the engine is cold it dosen't do it, it only happens when the engine is up to optimum temp 90oc, also it seems to be alot worse when your parked on an incline!!

Over the last few days also i have noticed that when at idle and the car is shuddering the engine tick-over noise brakes with the shudder, for example imagine a diesel engine ticking over, shudder, no noise for a fraction of a second and then engine noise again!

Any explanations or advice on this would be greatly apprieciated! :1zhelp:

prolfe
20-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Audi took mine in and remapped it to fix this. It was under warranty, mind you it's only a 2007 56 plate.

Worth asking them.

TheEggShell
21-04-2008, 10:22 AM
My A3 does the same thing but I never thought much of it.

How vicious is the shuddering?

prolfe
21-04-2008, 05:47 PM
mine just felt lumpy until i got going then it went.

Doesn't happen now they remapped it

TheEggShell
22-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't think what I am experiencing is nearly as bad as that.

I made a concious effort to look out for it on my drive home and it didn't judder at all (typical).

For me, it normally happens when you have been driving for a while and you are stationery. It feels like the engine's resting rev level is just a touch too low and the engine is close to stalling (hence the slight juddering).

I think if I went down the remap route I'd be looking to get a remap with more horsepower, but thats only because my Audi's out of warranty :P

prolfe
22-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Your local Audi might offer a remap with more power. I know mine does. At least then it will come with some warranty.

TheEggShell
23-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Really! That is interesting to know!!

I would have thought they would have gone down the opposite road and said that any remapping other than the original mapping invalidates the warranty.

Do you know what they charge?

prolfe
23-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Really! That is interesting to know!!

I would have thought they would have gone down the opposite road and said that any remapping other than the original mapping invalidates the warranty.

Do you know what they charge?

it's audi so might be quite a bit. Still peace of mind and all that.

£500 + i would of thought.

Give them a tinkle

TheEggShell
23-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I might just do that :P