PDA

View Full Version : A6 Bluetooth Phone Prep & N95 8GB

masonj
19-04-2008, 11:26 PM
I have a brand new A6 Le Mans 2.7 with Bluetooth phone prep. Although my Nokia N95 8GB has remote SIM access set to on the car cannot download the phone book. I suspect that this is a problem the phone but I may be wrong. Has anyone resolved this problem?

My phone contract is up soon so can anyone recommend a a phone that works with the Audi car kit? I would be especially interested in high end smart phones.

Seawolf
19-04-2008, 11:57 PM
I picked up my new A6 this week and had a similar problem, although with an older Sony K750i phone. The technician said this was pretty common and can sometimes come down to the version of firmware in your phone. In my case they spent 30 minutes sat in the car and eventually got it to work.

The technician had access to a detailed phone compatibility list that Audi update every 6 months, so it may be worth giving your Dealer a call.

masonj
20-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Thanks for that I'll give it a try but not sure how interested the local dealer will be as the car was supplied by a dealer 170 miles away. Still think that its the phone.

Akash
20-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I have a brand new A6 Le Mans 2.7 with Bluetooth phone prep. Although my Nokia N95 8GB has remote SIM access set to on the car cannot download the phone book. I suspect that this is a problem the phone but I may be wrong. Has anyone resolved this problem?

My phone contract is up soon so can anyone recommend a a phone that works with the Audi car kit? I would be especially interested in high end smart phones.

Hi to both of you

Forget what the dealership has as a means of compatible phones, their list is so old, I'm surpised they sell cars with bulbs and CD changers as opposed to lanterns and record players!

I have a A6 07 plate with BT prep (with cradle) and a Nokia N95 8GB version and it works fine.

It's tricky initially but once you've got it up and running, its fine.

First, it seems you have it connected to the car which is good.

SAP (sim access profile) will only work if your car has a SAP Bluetooth module installed - and not the basic kind. In my case, I dont and I know having a cradle is one way to know you dont have it! I don't however use the cradle.

OK to get your contacts over... Firstly, for reasons other than Audi, I would advise latest firmware. This is 21x on the silver ones 15x on the black 8GB ones. Main reason is that the performance is much better in the latest ones but also bluetooth has improved. This should not be a thing you NEED to do however!

Now the bit you want to do- contacts into your phonebook.

What you need to install on your phone is Nokia 810 Contact Download application installed on your phone. http://europe.nokia.com/A4143881

Ignore the fact it says Nokia 810, it will work.

The bad news is you need to take out a few mins and do some work.

The proc. is:

1. remove bluetooth pairings from BOTH your car and phone
2. restart your phone and car if it has been more than 10mins
3. Turn your car on to the first notch so that the MMI turns on but not the engine (my car has a 10min learning mode for BT and is only on the first notch, after the 10mins or when the engine is on, it will no longer find bluetooth devices) your's might be different!
4. Run the application (it should autostart when you turn the phone on but if not, run it manually!)
5. Add the device from your MMI and pair it up

Now the fun bit, go for a long drive :-)

It's a bit fiddly...didnt work for me the first time but after my drive, I noticed all the contacts were on the MMI.

There's also some pros and cons
If you want to SAVE the contacts on your MMI, you need to go into Phone Book and save them manually.
If you only want it to display the ones from your phonebook when you are connected but not save/display when the BT is not connected, then you need to ensure the contacts application is ALWAYS running in the background.
when you turn off the BT or Car for instance, the phone will stop transmitting the data to the car.

I hope this makes sense.... it really isnt as difficult but I've gone into a few more details than I should maybe!

Any questions, do let me know

masonj
20-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Many thanks for that, I have a long drive comming up tomorrow so will try it then. However, using this method is the phone paired with the car for Remote SIM access or as a standard hands free?

I think I have the full BT kit in my car as there is no cradle. When I pair the phones with remote SIM access I get an 'X' in place of the signal strength indicator and the phone will not let me open the phone book.

Nigelo
20-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I had no probs pairing my 2006 A6 with Built in BT via armrest phone prep (but without cradle connected) to a Nokia 6500 classic. I did this within the 10 mins timeout on unlocking car + MMI switchon without starting engine. However, I could not initially access the contacts list on the Nokia - A simple transfer from SIM to Phone storage magically changed that + I could then "import" the complete list to MMI using the MMI function. Did not use or need any external app running on the Nokia. As a trial also achieved similar results but without the import using a steam driven G2 Nok 6301i

hope this helps

masonj
20-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi to both of you

Forget what the dealership has as a means of compatible phones, their list is so old, I'm surpised they sell cars with bulbs and CD changers as opposed to lanterns and record players!

I have a A6 07 plate with BT prep (with cradle) and a Nokia N95 8GB version and it works fine.

It's tricky initially but once you've got it up and running, its fine.

First, it seems you have it connected to the car which is good.

SAP (sim access profile) will only work if your car has a SAP Bluetooth module installed - and not the basic kind. In my case, I dont and I know having a cradle is one way to know you dont have it! I don't however use the cradle.

OK to get your contacts over... Firstly, for reasons other than Audi, I would advise latest firmware. This is 21x on the silver ones 15x on the black 8GB ones. Main reason is that the performance is much better in the latest ones but also bluetooth has improved. This should not be a thing you NEED to do however!

Now the bit you want to do- contacts into your phonebook.

What you need to install on your phone is Nokia 810 Contact Download application installed on your phone. http://europe.nokia.com/A4143881

Ignore the fact it says Nokia 810, it will work.

The bad news is you need to take out a few mins and do some work.

The proc. is:

1. remove bluetooth pairings from BOTH your car and phone
2. restart your phone and car if it has been more than 10mins
3. Turn your car on to the first notch so that the MMI turns on but not the engine (my car has a 10min learning mode for BT and is only on the first notch, after the 10mins or when the engine is on, it will no longer find bluetooth devices) your's might be different!
4. Run the application (it should autostart when you turn the phone on but if not, run it manually!)
5. Add the device from your MMI and pair it up

Now the fun bit, go for a long drive :-)

It's a bit fiddly...didnt work for me the first time but after my drive, I noticed all the contacts were on the MMI.

There's also some pros and cons
If you want to SAVE the contacts on your MMI, you need to go into Phone Book and save them manually.
If you only want it to display the ones from your phonebook when you are connected but not save/display when the BT is not connected, then you need to ensure the contacts application is ALWAYS running in the background.
when you turn off the BT or Car for instance, the phone will stop transmitting the data to the car.

I hope this makes sense.... it really isnt as difficult but I've gone into a few more details than I should maybe!

Any questions, do let me know

Akash, I had a bit of time on my hands just now and have given your excelent instructions a try. Looks like it worked, run the program on the Nokia and it sent over my large phone book within a minute or two. I can now see all my numbers via the MMI. However, when I use the button on the steerinh wheel to issue the "Select a name" command the voice says "the phonebook is empty". Any ideas? It would be icing on the cake if I could get this to work also.

Akash
20-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Akash, I had a bit of time on my hands just now and have given your excelent instructions a try. Looks like it worked, run the program on the Nokia and it sent over my large phone book within a minute or two. I can now see all my numbers via the MMI. However, when I use the button on the steerinh wheel to issue the "Select a name" command the voice says "the phonebook is empty". Any ideas? It would be icing on the cake if I could get this to work also.

I have to say I have not tried voice dialling as of yet but I can only think of one potential issue here.
Now that you can see your phonebook, have you saved the numbers to your MMI?
From memory, you need click on the Names button (or whatever it is above Tel) on the panel
Then I think there is an import option
When you do this, you see your N95 contacts at which point you want to start importing these into the car "phonebook"

When you do this, the speech/voice dialling picks it up. Otherwise what you have is your MMI displaying contacts from your phone and not your MMI memory and so your voice dialling feature cannot read it.

Just a thought but I will confirm this tomorrow morning and try it out on mine!

masonj
21-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I have to say I have not tried voice dialling as of yet but I can only think of one potential issue here.
Now that you can see your phonebook, have you saved the numbers to your MMI?
From memory, you need click on the Names button (or whatever it is above Tel) on the panel
Then I think there is an import option
When you do this, you see your N95 contacts at which point you want to start importing these into the car "phonebook"

When you do this, the speech/voice dialling picks it up. Otherwise what you have is your MMI displaying contacts from your phone and not your MMI memory and so your voice dialling feature cannot read it.

Just a thought but I will confirm this tomorrow morning and try it out on mine!

Thanks again, all sorted. You have to add voice tags to phone book entries. Once done its works fine.

madfella65
13-06-2008, 01:18 AM
does anyone have the manual for the BT kit? I didnt get one with my car - previous owner must have liked the manual, he also kept the triangle out of the boot for some reason......

Akash
14-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Madfella... not checked my handbooks but I will have a look
if it's in there, I can try and scan it if its small

It might be part of the main manual though (infact I think it is!)
I have the audi manual on CD that tthey give if that helps?

masonj
15-06-2008, 02:15 PM
In case anyone is interested it looks like Nokia have sorted out Remote SIM access in their new E51. Works perfectly with my 08 A6 and no need to run any applications on the phone.

Akash
15-06-2008, 10:36 PM
What bluetooth kit do you have...the standard one (with the cradle) or the SAP module? (doesnt have a cradle)

madfella65
16-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Madfella... not checked my handbooks but I will have a look
if it's in there, I can try and scan it if its small

It might be part of the main manual though (infact I think it is!)
I have the audi manual on CD that tthey give if that helps?

I actually thought there was a seperate manual - like the quick ref guide for the sat nav - i looked in the manual and there it was! all the instructions I needed! thanks a mill for your help and the offer of the manual on CD.

adinamwz
17-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi there i bought a 2007 A6 and when I have tried to set the my Blackberry Curve up the MMI system says 'telephone not installed' does anyone have a way round this or is it back to the dealership???

AxeMurderer
17-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Does your car actually have bluetooth/were you told it did?

Do you have the base for a phone cradle in the armrest? If you do you should have bluetooth. If not, probably not.

adinamwz
17-03-2011, 11:50 PM
No cradle in armrest and dealer said it had bluetooth phone kit! Its a 2007 S Line all the other functions on MMI work including the TV (which is great in traffic jams) and a friend of my has a 2007 SE A4 which I was able to set the phone up in!! I have to say my A6 has confused me somewhat :-(

imastu pidgit
18-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I tried various things, none of which worked, until the simple approach of using the phone's bluetooth to search for new devices and connect to Audixxxx when it appears on the phone menu - not the Audi instruction manual.

Apologies if you have already done this, but thought it worth mentioning.

adinamwz
18-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks for this I tried it and still no joy :mad: The car has MFSW should I be using the buttons on this?

Is there anything i can do to check if the car actually has bluetooth cos at this stage I am starting to doubt :zx11:

MMI is great but when u have the option to do something and then you find out you cant well thats a pain!!!

AxeMurderer
20-03-2011, 06:13 AM
The car has MFSW should I be using the buttons on this?

No, that's something to try once you have got bluetooth up and running!

MFGF
20-03-2011, 05:00 PM
It may be that your car doesn't have Bluetooth. You could try checking the options codes on the sticker in the spare wheel well (or in the front of the service book) and decoding them on igorweb to see if Bluetooth is listed. Or you could find a forum member in your area with VCDS and ask them to scan your car - a Bluetooth module should show up on this.

Regards,

MF.

Snet form my fumblefingers
iPhon 5 usig Tapatalk