PDA

View Full Version : 1999 passat CV boot replacement

Dezzed
19-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I am trying to remove my CV joint from my 1999 passat to replace the boot. I took the clip that is on the axel off and pushed back the 2 washers. I am trying to Pry the CV joint off (With a hammer and other means:) but I can only get about a 1/4 inch and then nothing else. Its like there is another clip holding it in. My questions are
1. Is there only the one clip on the Axel that holds it in? I read the instructions here www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/cvjoints and they only show the one clip.
2. The joint looks fine, but is it easier just to replace the whole axel? I bought the boot kit for 30us and a new Axel is 75us. Am I just making my self go insance to save 50 dollars :(

Thanks for the help!

kenney
19-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi Is it the inner or outer boot, have you removed the axel,send your e-mail address and i will send you the info

Dezzed
19-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Its the outer. Wasn't planning on removing it. But if its easier, then I can remove the 6 bolts I guess.

Dezzed
19-04-2008, 06:32 PM
need

Dezzed
19-04-2008, 06:33 PM
2 more post to send it to you :)

Dezzed
19-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I will send it to you in a minute. :)

kenney
19-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi you do not have to remove the axsel, although sometimes they can be a pig to remove ,can not understand which clip you have removed as the retaining clip is inside the cv joint.You need a fairly heavy hammer and hit it on the inner ring

Dezzed
19-04-2008, 07:18 PM
On the outer CV joint, there is the clip that goes around the axel, then the thrust washer and another washer will slide back, that is the clicp that I am referring to. Is there another clip? I looked in there and didnt see anything. Where would the inner clip be? In the bolt hole? I looked everwhere and couldnt find anything.

and why is it that the bolts for the Upper forward control arm is in such a way that you have to remove the shock :( but thats another story...

kenney
19-04-2008, 07:39 PM
You do not have to remove any clip.you cut off the old boot to give you access to remove the joint.If you look at the clip 12 this is what holds the shaft in place you cannot access this clip before you remove the joint.On the outer tip of the axle you can see a slot the clip glides into this slot when you remove the axle and replace it