PDA

View Full Version : A4 B6 Amp

steveieboy205
18-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Can anyone help, I have a Bose system and the amp in my car isnt working, is it possible to wire the radio straight to the speakers, or is there another amp that I can fit, Audi want 300+vat for a new amp.

dansansome
21-04-2008, 12:17 PM
breaker's yards?

steveieboy205
24-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks Dan,

Been down that line as far away as Canada still no joy, do you know if they can be repaired?

dansansome
24-04-2008, 01:41 PM
i would say that it can be repaired, however i dont know if anyone would do the work. if you were prepared to dig out the soldering iron/multimeter and amplifier theory, then it might work out cheaper, but to pay someone labour charges to fault find and rectify, it would probably work out cheaper to buy one from audi. (unless the blown component is surrounded by a blackened/charcoal ring)

how about searching ebay, there are quite a few vehicles listed on there as being broken for spares, you might get lucky with one of those.

i would also say that the signals that are sent to the bose amp would be suitable to drive an aftermarket amplifier, you might have to make an adaptor at the amp end to break out all the signals to go to the correct connectors for aftermarket amps (phono connectors etc). again, this is more hassle.

please bear in mind that i am by no means an expert in Bose systems, and tbh i have never seen one in a car, but im an aircraft systems engineer, and integrating this kind of stuff is what i do most days.

hope this helps in some strange way...

steveieboy205
24-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Once again thanks Dan, no I'm not being facetious.

My mate (Volvo trained auto sparky) who does my repairs for me has wired the speakers directly onto the back of the radio and it doesnt sound that bad, not as crisp as when the amp was working but not bad, he suggested buying a new amp from somwhere other than Audi at a fraction of the cost, then I think its a case of running new wiring from the speakers back to the amp.

I may go down that road if I get to much grief from my daughter about the sound quality, if she doesnt notice then it must be ok.

Once again thanks for your input.

dansansome
24-04-2008, 02:30 PM
no probs.

seeing that the standard speaker connectors will drive speakers, then you could look out for an aftermarket 4 channel amp (5 if there is a subwoofer too) that has high level inputs. you could then run the "normal" speaker outputs straight into the amp.

good luck with whatever route you go down :)

adeyb1
09-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I think a mate of mine has one of these if you are still looking