PDA

View Full Version : Radio aerial amp

rally5
18-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi
Had a few problems recently on losing the radio reception after opening the boot on my '04 A4 cabriolet, (aerial built into plastic boot lid) then the reception would return to normal later on. Could this be a broken wire in the harness going into the boot or an Amp fault, Any Ideas!!
Thanks

rally5
20-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Had a look today and traced the fault to broken cables where they go through to the boot lid.
Any one know if you can get a new harness for the n/s cables going to the radio amp

rally5
21-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Latest update
Replacement wiring loom is in excess of £130 and must be installed from boot right up to the radio and will take hours and hours
So decided to splice in two new pieces of coaxial cable from a phono audio lead, solderd and taped the joints. Radio now working again at no cost. Took me just over a hour. Estimate from Audi is over £500

bobbyboy
30-04-2008, 08:48 PM
think you will find audi dealer can supply ariel lead an connectors and will take about 2 hours to fit any diyer can do

Blue Man Group
31-05-2008, 11:06 AM
rally5 - I've got this problem, albeit a bit more advanced in that the radio doesn't pick anything up at all, ever. Do you know if you had the problem with the hood up? I ask because according to the dealer I spoke to this morning, when the roof's up the aerial is in the rear screen, but when down it uses the one in the bootlid.

I would imagine that if your symptoms are the same as mine then splicing a new piece of coax will work for me, too. But.... if yours worked fine with the roof up then it may be that my problem is in a differnet part of the aerial lead.

Thanks

Greg

rally5
31-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi Blue Man, The aerial is definatly in the boot lid not the the rear window on a cabriolet, Open the boot and remove the triangle holder and then the boot lid panel, on the left hand side is the aerial amp with two coaxial cables plugged in with two different coloured plugs, Dont mix them up (I dont know why just dont) pull out the rubber grommet/flexi hose from the boot lid and the body (left hand side) and check the coax inside, thats where mine broke,
Pull off the rubber boot seal and work through the gap between the inner panelling (Too much trouble to remove the inner panel) Dont shorten the coax just splice about 12" inbetween the the break , I did both cables using audio phono cable. It works a treat with no loss of reception or any interferance, been working a month!!
I did solder the joints and then just taped up.
Good Luck