PDA

View Full Version : Audi LongLife Servicing.

alex130tdi
18-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi All - I have a question that Audi have not answered and Id be grateful Ive got an A4 Avant 100 that I asked Audi to put onto a longlife service, my understanding was that it was 20000 or 2 years but after the advised 300 miles of driving the indicator went from --- days ---- miles to 365 days 8700 miles and is now counting down.
Surely (even if I was driving it heavily) it should say 700+ days even if the mileage was right.
I called Audi, Ridgeway Newbury, and the guy was quite abrupt with me and told me it would continue to adjust, but it must be either.
1) they have reset the service indicator for 10K service intervals.
2) they have not put the right oil in
3) its just the way it is and I am overreacting...

Any pointers from the forum before I call Audi in the morning to debate further the service cost me a total of £503 so I am ont happy to be fobbed off.

MackemMan
18-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I am far from an expert on this, but I can relate my own experiences.

I currently have a A3 on long-life, although I have an A4 on order. My wife has a Golf which was on long-life but was changed to time & distance at the first service because it had only done about 5K miles.

My A3 told me I needed a service around 14K miles. This seemed low to me as I was expecting nearer to 20K but Audi said it was because I had a lot of short journeys (true).

On the basis of my history I would have thought you should probably have at least 15K before needing a service - unless you drive like a lunatic or do the same sort of miles as my wife.

alex130tdi
18-04-2008, 09:35 PM
hi MackeMan
What you have said sounds right to me, I did about 3 x 100+ mile journeys at good motorway speeds of 55-80 and it definitely struck me as being wrong. As you said even with short journeys I'd expect more than 8.5K out of it. I think they have done something wrong so will head in tomorrow morning to complain.
It is pretty ironic that I paid a fortune for that service and today took my golf to Nationwide AutoCentre in Newbury who charged £62 for a longlife oil change and inspection and they have reset the computer properly for longlife servicing....

moptisam2
19-04-2008, 07:43 AM
I bought my present A4 2.0 TDI new on 4the Jan 05, with variable servicing. I do mostly what could be called short journeys, as I have an 86 yr old mother who lives 7 miles away and I can only make long motorway journeys occasionally.

I got to Sept 06 (17500 miles later) before I needed my first service. I am hoping to get my new A4 at the end of June and, depending on how much I can restrict my mileage until then, may swop the car before its 2nd service. At the moment I have done 31645 miles and the onboard checker tells me I need my next service in 142 days or 3000 miles.

alex130tdi
20-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Took the car to Audi yesterday they did try to tell me it was normal, however the technican who serviced the car was in and said he had only reset it to fixed servicing and not variable.
I'll see what happens when the computer comes back to life over the coming weeks.
my concern now is that if the technician who serviced it set it to fixed servicing he might have been under the impression that he carried out a "fixed service" although I was re-assured this was not the case I imagine ill be fobbed off again with some story if and when the service computer does start giving me information.
thanks again.

MackemMan
20-04-2008, 11:49 AM
There is very easy way to find out what type of service you had.

Have a look at the bill - long-life oil is a lot more expensive than standard oil.

Sounds to me like you should be looking for a different place to do future work for you.

trilobite80
01-11-2010, 06:47 PM
oops wrong section