PDA

View Full Version : Trouble With 2000 Polo

Hooch
15-12-2006, 01:01 PM
My wife has a VW Polo 1.4 16v y reg 2000. Unfortunatly we have run into problems and our local garage is not able to sort the problem after replacing HT leads and cooler pack. The problem is that the engine revs are irregular the acceleration is terrible. Driving it home last night along the M1 I only managed a top speed of 50 mph with it floored. The problem is getting worse. The ride is jerky and jumpy and extremley irregular. The best way to descride the engine noise is that of a lawnmower.

adamss24
15-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Did the check light(engine/emission light) has came on ? You may have a faulty lambda sensor, a dirty throttle body or a verry dirty air filter (!?!) and i sugest get the garage to do a fault code scan and make a note of them and let us know what they are ! Good luck !

Hooch
16-12-2006, 09:55 AM
I had a test run on it previously and the lamda probe was faulty but the car was running fine with no emission problems but I will make sure they replace it! Thanks buddy.:beerchug:

alcodsuk
31-12-2006, 11:38 AM
My wife has a VW Polo 1.4 16v y reg 2000. Unfortunatly we have run into problems and our local garage is not able to sort the problem after replacing HT leads and cooler pack. The problem is that the engine revs are irregular the acceleration is terrible. Driving it home last night along the M1 I only managed a top speed of 50 mph with it floored. The problem is getting worse. The ride is jerky and jumpy and extremley irregular. The best way to descride the engine noise is that of a lawnmower.

Check the exhaust system because if it has a catalytic converter this could be blocked. Catalytic converters need to reach a certain temperature to work efficiently and they are not suited to short/slow runs.
I had a similar problem but with an american car and although no problems were registered on the computer.The Catalytic converter was blocked and the problem was soon fixed.

Hooch
02-01-2007, 10:10 AM
:confused:
Well the troubles are over now. The garage told me there was still a fault on cylinder 1 and asked if they could replace the injector and due to a lack of confidence in said garage, I said no and took it elsewhere. I informed the new garage that the coil pack and leads had been replaced and they came back asking to change the injector. After replacing the injector the problem was still there. So the new garage put some new leads on Again and the problem vanished!! I think the moral of the story is let the garage do the tests and come to their own conclusion rather than telling them it can't be the leads because they are "new".
It seemed a very expensive way of going about things but at least my wife is not kicking my butt anymore.:D
Cheers for all your help