PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

j_coupland
24-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi all.

Shock! Horror! Last Sunday I was driving along at 30 mph and then CRUNCH!, the passenger side driveshaft came away from the gearbox on my Golf 3 TDI. After getting the car towed back to the garage got it from, it was repaired a couple of days later. Turns out the inner CV joint shattered and thats what tore the driveshaft out. The garage fitted a new driveshaft and new inner and outer CV joints and done it all for free. Very fortunate but what I want to know is, is it a common problem and how much could it have cost me out of my warranty?

For those of you who remember the problems I was having with a delay on the accelerator revving up, it still occurs but as someone earlier suggested it could be turbo wear. I'm still investigating the problem from the accelerator back the way. If it is the turbo, how much am I looking at for a new or exchange part? I think it is the Garett type turbo.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

stuart
25-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Hi all.

Shock! Horror! Last Sunday I was driving along at 30 mph and then CRUNCH!, the passenger side driveshaft came away from the gearbox on my Golf 3 TDI. After getting the car towed back to the garage got it from, it was repaired a couple of days later. Turns out the inner CV joint shattered and thats what tore the driveshaft out. The garage fitted a new driveshaft and new inner and outer CV joints and done it all for free. Very fortunate but what I want to know is, is it a common problem and how much could it have cost me out of my warranty?

For those of you who remember the problems I was having with a delay on the accelerator revving up, it still occurs but as someone earlier suggested it could be turbo wear. I'm still investigating the problem from the accelerator back the way. If it is the turbo, how much am I looking at for a new or exchange part? I think it is the Garett type turbo.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Driveshafts are NOT a common problem on any VAG car, you do change the outer CV joints, as these do most of the work, they have to rotate and twist with the steering as well as the suspension movement. The inner joints are less a problem as they just rotate.
If it was not covered by a warranty, I would expect a cost of around £200 for a complete shaft, depending on were purchased, and around £50 for the ends if only these are changed.
Turbo's can be expensive, in the region of £400 exchange I would expect, although changing turbo's are very rare.

Stuart