PDA

View Full Version : aa are they worth it?

marmate
17-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi All

I have a 54 plate A4 TDI SE Avant with 122,000 miles on the clock. I have owned her from new and no longer have any warrenty on her. Just had wheel bearings done and because of stuck pins it's cost me a bomb.

Just phoned the aa and they have offered me full breakdown cover with parts and labour for £158. They say they now cover cars with over 100,000 miles on them and there is no wear or tear rip offs. So it will workout at £15 a month.

Anyone else have this cover and is it anygood?

Thanks

bez101
17-04-2008, 04:44 PM
i had this on my 18t water pump failed did the lot in
AA refused to repair under terms

marmate
17-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Was this before they brought out the new cover. When my Audi cover ran out last year I called them as my mate with a crap old corsa had a policy with them and she has had no problems with it and claimed 4 times last year as her car was *******. But they wouldn't cover me then as my car had just covered 100,000 miles. Now from then to now she has done 122,000 and only just had to have her front wheel bearings done, which was only £130 not bad really, so I don't mind them refusing me as it saved me £70 as the cover was £199 back then. She also had a service done at a garage in coventry and cambelt done as I was in the area and got a very good price of £330 including VAT for the whole lot.

Now they have new cover and it's something like £67 for cars more than 10 years old or with more than 100,000 miles and they assured me that the old con of wear and tear is no longer on the policy.

I have read through the online policy details and it mentions nothing about wear and tear and only states that you have to call the aa out to your car and it has to be a quarter of a mile from your home address. They take you to the garage of your choice as long as it is VAT registered and the garage has to lisase with the aa before any work is done as they have to give the go ahead.

Why did they refuse you if you don't mind me asking?

I need cover for road side assistance and all that and when they offered me the 'breakdown repair cover' at £67 pounds on my car I thought it was good especially when they said they will pay out as long as the conditions are followed and the car service history is upto date, as stated by audi.

Mine is, her Audi service book says she now needs a service every 20,000 miles, however I get it done every 10,000 miles because of the miles I cover and I don't mind paying for it as my garage is cheaper than Audi. I asked the lady if the fact I went to a local garage would make any difference and she said no as long as you have receipts as proof the work has been carried out.

I don't know what to do, I might give it a go as I will pay monthly and if they refuse to cough up, if god forbid anything does go wrong, I can cancel if I give 30 days notice.

I am just a little worried about the milage I have done in her, she still drives like new but you never know what expensive fit the car will throw as she has done a lot since she arrived for my birthday in September 2004.

bez101
17-04-2008, 05:43 PM
they refused to repair rebuild or replace engine

marmate
17-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Why? What was their reasons?

Do you recommend any of these policies? If so please tell who you use

bez101
17-04-2008, 06:17 PM
they said it wasnt covered under terms personaly i wouldnt recoment any i know a few good blokes to do my repairs AA always pull the policy on something so they dont have to pay so do the warranty brokers

LisaDJ
17-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm paying £13 a month for my AA membership for my Puma... have had it for a while even though my Dad's a mechanic he hasn't got a towtruck and if I'm somewhere miles away he doesn't want to come out and get me! Even when my exhaust dropped off in Wolverhampton (10 miles away from his garage) he said "get the AA out!" :D

Yes I would recommend them for peace of mind. They have rescued us a few times.

marmate
17-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi Lisa

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know of anyone ever getting refused a repair on the Breakdown and Repair insurance. The insurance that covers you if your car needs to go to the garage to be fixed?

I read your post about buying the Audi and can only say go for it, you won't be sorry and you have your dad to do your repairs so you won't have to fork out on labour costs.

:D