PDA

View Full Version : V power diesel

arl_gti
17-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Are there any advantages for the engine using v power diesel or is this simply a waste of money compared to other fuels.

thanks

TDiBoraSam
17-04-2008, 12:29 PM
It made absolutely no difference in my Bora, and I'd say isn't worth the extra 5-6p per litre. Stick with Shell's diesel extra, and put a shot of Miller's in every other fill up.

eko
17-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Shell tell us that the fuel is designed to deliver more power for longer by continuously cleaning the fuel-injection equipment in the engine.
The V power made no difference to the power of my car. As for cleaning the fuel injection system all of the leading brands are already putting in a certain quantity of detergents to do this. I would agree with TDiBoraSam that it is not worth the extra cost.

veedub76
17-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I agree with the above also.I have also tried V-power and it makes no difference but just costs more!All diesel has additives/detergents in.Tesco apparantly is the same as shell or get their petrol/diesel from the same refinery.Use millers additive it works a treat.:D

arl_gti
18-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Cheers guys I think I'm going to try using shell diesel extra with some Millers diesel sport 4 which should do the thing....

herby0001
18-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Is this 'Millers additive' a cleaner of some sort? TBH, I've never heard of it. Is it something to use as preventative maintenance? Any noticable performance and/or economy increase?
Cheers.

tsunami
19-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I used V power diesel on a trip to london once. I never noticed any increase in power. Waste of money i say :biglaugh:

Corgi
19-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I tried to find a shell garage that sells VPower diesel and the nearest to me is too far away to make it viable. I have tried BP Ultimate and I have to say my old banger 1.9 Polo did run smoother.
I'm now trying Millers diesel sport 4 with tesco's boggo diesel and am finding my engine's a bit perkier, if a little less smooth than with BP Ultimate.

BVF
02-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I used BP ultimate in mine and it DID seem to make a difference. It seemed perkier as the other guy said. Its quite expensive though. Especially now.

Solari
02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I've been putting BP Ultimate Unleaded in my 1.8T and while I can't say I notice much difference, I seem to be doing better on the MPG front although that could just be coincidence.

I'm not sure it's really worth doing, especially as the inside of the filler cap clearly says 95RON. I thought it was worth trying though. I shall probably go back to standard unleaded methinks.

StuPDi
02-05-2008, 04:35 PM
no difference for me in terms of performance or miles per tank.

noticibly less clouds of soot from the Zorst tho :)

Stu

wackyracer
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
the petrol version is fairly good, but i got better results from tesco super! As for diesel, i have used it and found no difference in my gt tdi 130. I think that if it just cleans the fuel system etc, that unless it was bad you wouldnt notice any difference. The petrol version on the other hand has a higher octane level which the ECU can put to good use!
Save your money on ordinary diesel and put it towards a performance air filter and exhaust!

StuPDi
05-05-2008, 09:22 AM
i already got the exhaust, but that was for looks rather than performance.

does an air filter really make any difference to a derv??

if so, guess i should get 1 before i have my remap at the end of the month!!!!

Stu

wackyracer
05-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Basically anything that allows the car to increase fueling in a controlled way will result in a degree of performance increase. You have the exhaust upgrade which lets the engine get rid of waste gases more easily, so what you want now is to get more air into the engine. I woundn't say on its own you really notice it and say 'wow what a difference!' but in combination with the exhaust you will notice more pull, add to that a remap and now you will be saying 'wow!'

Having said all that since i added a cold air induction kit to my PD130 i have noticed that it has smoothed out the ride alot.

StuPDi
05-05-2008, 08:20 PM
i spoke to the guy who fitted my exhaust and he basically talked me out of induction kit for diesel, and said a panel filter was about the best i could get :(

should i go else where and get other peoples opinion??

i really like the sound of a twister (carbonio) but only seen these on petrol engines, will these sound stupid on my 130?????

Stu

wackyracer
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Always best get to another opinion, if only to put your mind at rest! The problem with stock unit is that the inlet is very small, so although you get alot more air through using the panel filter, you will get even more with a bigger inlet from the induction kit ( ask yourself why motor sport uses induction kits rather than panel!) The stock air filter housing is designed to be restrictive to help keep noise levels down.
Another thing worth noting is that induction kit that will fit a seat leon 20v turbo ( cupra) mk1 will also fit the golf mk4! I took mine off my leon just to see if it would and it did so fitted it to my golf and saved buying another one!
But at the end of the day it is up to you. i do know people who prefere panel filters, and obviously they dont affect your insurance ( but declare anyway as its best not to be caught out by small print!)