PDA

View Full Version : LPG conversion for Touareg

peteyeti
17-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum stuff so please bear with me .

I am considering buying a larger petrol car 1) new edition arrived and need a bigger care 2) big petrol cars / 4 x 4's are a good price at the mo coz of fuel prices etc (one can presume) - so... I have been looking at the Touareg and was wondering if they still drive the same etc if they are converted to lpg - and who does them in the scotland area- and how much are they?

Sorry about the many questions..Pete

Ben
17-04-2008, 09:41 PM
buying a car is one thing, running it is another, you would have to drive mega miles before you began making savings after you've earnt back what it cost for the conversion.

barbecue
30-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi
This is my first post to the forum too Pete!

The previous comment from Golfmk5gttdi is spot on. I wish I'd heeded the advice myself. I generally do 10 mile trips back and forth to work and the occasional long trip.
I've recently converted an Audi A6 2.7T Q Avant. As it does around 25mpg on petrol it made sense to me to convert it to LPG and effectively half my running costs. The pro's and cons went like this;

Cons;
1. The conversion cost £1500
2. There aren't that many LPG filling stations
3. The car runs slightly dry on LPG and could damage the valves over time (or so I've been told)
Pro's;
1. LPG costs around 0.50p per litre and is due to stay half the price of petrol for the next few years apparently.
2. LPG doesn't affect performance and you get around the same MPG from it as petrol
3. It's slightly better on emissions
4. You get road tax £15 cheaper a year (whoopee doo!)
5. You could cover 800 miles without stopping :confused:
So with this advice I read, and was told that I'd 'make my money back' in 2 years.

The reality is that LPG burns A LOT faster than petrol. Example;
I fill up my car on petrol. I can get around 60 litres in there at £1.06 per litre. That's £63.60. The computer says I'll get 400 miles, but I'm more likely to get 350. That's 18p per mile.
I fill up the car on LPG. It's a 70 litre tank, I get 60 litres in it at 52p per litre. That’s £31.20. I reset the trip computer and the tank is done at just over 200 miles. That's 16p per mile.
The bitch is that I still have to put petrol in it to warm up on. When I first got it converted I had a quarter of a tank left and this lasted 2 weeks. So, on that basis I use £60 of petrol every 2 months.

So for £1500 all I’ve actually achieved is making myself fill the car up with fuel twice as often as I would normally. :aargh4:

Steve114
29-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Hi, I have no info on Touaregs running on lpg but am considering one at the min, I do have a ford explorer at the mo which runs exactly the same on either petrol or lpg. I am after a V8 Touareg does anyone know if it is ok to convert or should look at the V6 instead?
Cheers