PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK4 alloy wheel size?

leemasiuk
13-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi,

I'm new to golfs and have had my car for a few weeks. I am keen on finding some nice looking and well suited alloy wheels, but i'm not sure what size to go for.

Some people say 18", but other say you can go as big as 20"?

What size wheels suit the Mk4 best? Also any links to where i can buy decent alloys from would be a great help.

Thanks

steveh2507
31-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi,
A few months back i damaged my vw alloys and bought a set of audi rs4's from www.wheel-base.co.uk (http://www.wheel-base.co.uk). They are a 225/40/18. The 18" look massive on the car so I wouldn't recommend anything bigger. But the car does sit about an inch higher than it did, nothing a new suspension kit won't solve. They look pretty good though and for four, with tyres (toyo proxes t1-s), balanced and delivered they only cost £450. I'd check out their website for a look and if you want more info, give them a call, they were very good and delivered them pretty fast.
steve

Eshrules
01-01-2007, 06:47 PM
hi,

re the '20 " ' claim, i really wouldnt advise this, unless your intending to overhaul the springs and dampeners, you would have to remove your arch linings and even perhaps roll the arches to fit this kind of size tyre. 18" look well suited to a mk4 golf, id say anything bigger without the body mods to follow, would look stupid and adversely affect your handling. also, you need to take into consideration the increased tyre wear you will have as a result, the car will be slightly slower and will not take turns as tightly as it would with standard rims. rs4s seem to be the 'in' rim at the moment, but seem to be becoming all too common, id go for a nice one off or a chrome or shadow effect wheel, depends on the colour of your car and personal preference! as has been mentioned, for a decent set of rims your looking at anything from £350 upwards.

me_123
01-01-2007, 07:09 PM
hi,

i agree with Esh and steve on this, i am also looking for some replacement rims for my 16" alloys i have on there at the moment and 18" is more then enough with a nice drop. I was all for the rs4s but my mates bought a set of rs8s and they look so much better in my opinion. However whichever set of wheels you go for be sure to get the car dropped to give it the finishing touch. Goodluck with your search :)

leemasiuk
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
thanks for the info guys,

i think i'll stick to the 18" wheels. just need to decide on style now.

Another thing thats bothering me is the rolling radius of the new wheels. i understand this will increase, so the speedo will be slightly out. i will be travelling slightly faster than the speedo will show. is this OK, and nothing to worry about, just accept it?

steveh2507
04-01-2007, 12:10 AM
if you go to the right company they'll be able to point you in the right direction, the rolling radius shouldn't be too far out as they give you shallower tyre walls to counteract the increase in wheel size. if you've got a bit of cash to spend, look at some of the wheels that are painted on the inside and have a polished spoke face or a polished rim. Some of the wheels I looked at before getting the rs4's, for example, were avus ac-m01 graphite or inovite spin or kei racing force 10 or momo GTR. Although you have to be careful with painted wheels as some manufacturers (such as Konig) don't have a good reputation for the durability of the paint and only offer a 3 month warranty.
Basically, a good wheel/tyre company will be able to give you the right advice as to wheel size and width and tyre options without having to modify the vehicle (unless you want to modify the car!). Best advice I can offer, scour the internet for pics of wheels on your car and find something you like then hunt around for the best price. internet based companies do the best deals as they don't have the overhead costs that shops do, and they are more likely to try to beat a price you get from somewhere else! Good luck!

redmax90
09-01-2007, 04:51 PM
17s are good ! if u go with 18s u will pay for it it the long run ..they are easily buckled and they are sore on the suspension components ...esp bushings. the 17 are a good balance between looks and longiveity. remember the only golf that had 18 inch wheels as standard was the r32..17 were an option on the range tho.
good luck mate

chrisp
15-01-2007, 09:17 PM
[quote=redmax90;remember the only golf that had 18 inch wheels as standard was the r32..17 were an option on the range tho.
good luck mate[/quote]

And the Anniversary... If you go for quality wheels you should be fine, not cheap copies. Same as everything, you get whagt you pay for...

simonb10
24-01-2010, 01:20 PM
iv recently got the mk4 gt tdi in white, but it came with some poor 15" wheels, so i have been hunting high and low for a good set of 18" black rims.
rimstyle.com have a good selection that come with tyres fitted.

Daz-1982
07-02-2010, 09:55 PM
18's are the way forwar i have a set of 18" rs4 wheel on and currently have it lowered 70mm with no problmes apart from having to get the front arches rolled but its worth it when you see it sat on the road side