PDA

View Full Version : Child Seat in a B5 Passat

Hex69
16-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I've got a 2000 115TDI which I don't think has ISOFIX mounts.

Can anyone suggest a car seat as my wife is pregnant with our first, and I obviously want to ensure the baby is as safe as possible.

Cheers

jdhartman24
17-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Iwas in the same position last year, I have a 1 year old son, and we did a lot of car seat research. I have a 99 1.8T wagon. We ended up going with a Graco rear facing carrier. It was very easy to install,remove,etc. I put in in the center,back seat. I only have a lap belt in that seat but if you place a knee in the baby seat when you are tightening it down, you can get very secure. Congrats on the upcoming addition. Some friendly advice, sleep now, cause you won't get any later.:D

Hex69
18-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for your advice, already struggling with sleep now!:1zhelp:

Can't imagine what it's going to be like later!!

russellm72
18-04-2008, 12:38 PM
As a father of a nearly three month old I hope you have a spare room if you are working!!! He is not fed from the bottle so Ok that way. GOOD LUCK

As for the seat we have a MAXICOSI and is attached in our Passat (formely our Fiesta) with a base (easyfix) that is attched via the seat belt and has a front leg for stability. Having the ISO fix system is much easier as it just clicks in!!! Not cheap but neither is a life........

Regards

Russell

jeepjunkie
28-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I had this issue too...

Before buying the car we asked the main dealer if the car (Passat 2004 TDI 130 Sport SE) had isofix... They said yes... When we went to the pram center it turned out that the car did not have isofix!? Great!!!

Anyway got the MaxiCosi 'easy base' and seems very secure as the previous poster pointed out.

hotrod09
28-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Hang on a second!!! You can always retrofit ISOFIX if your Passat is post 99. The parts are under 50 quid all in and all it takes is 4 screws! All you need to do is to check if you have the holes in your car with an M8 thread. They were covered in mine with some grey cloth tape and are situated on both sides between the buckle and the door in the back. Flip your bench up and peek up under the back portion of your seat. PM me for part numbers if required.

VWKD
30-04-2008, 12:44 PM
I fitted my ISOFIX a couple of weeks ago as my wife has it in her car (2002 Golf GTTDI) and wanted to easily change the seat from one to the other and wanted maximum safety for the little un of course :D

here are a few quick pics for anyone interested....

First Remove Carpet to reveal a tab which holds the seat rears in place..Just undo the 1 Torx screw shown below

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/ISOFIX/ISO3.jpg

Then prize off the bracket

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/ISOFIX/ISO2.jpg

The seat backs should be able to be easily removed lift in the middle then slide away from the door.

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/ISOFIX/ISO1.jpg

Once seat backs are out you should be able to see 2 bits of tape (I have removed 1 in pic below) covering the captive nuts which the ISOFIX bolts into, remove these.

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/ISOFIX/ISO6.jpg

Then bolt isofix in place torque to 30nm

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/ISOFIX/ISO7.jpg

Replace seat backs and you should just be able to feel the ISOFIX hoops poking through where seat base meets back.

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/ISOFIX/ISO4.jpg

Fold seat back and fit Child seat jobs a goodun... only took about 30mins tops.

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/ISOFIX/ISO5.jpg

Hex69
30-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for a superb write up.

I'll be certainly using it in the near future!!

Hex:biglaugh:

jeepjunkie
30-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Cheers for the write up!

Spoke to a main dealer today who can get me the bracket (4B0 813 545 A) and bolts (8L0 837 453) tomorrow for £30 odd quid.

oliverreed
18-09-2008, 11:23 PM
been here all of five minutes and found an answer to my new Passat's question list!

quick question to VWKD if i may - do you really need to remove the seat to complete this or is it an ease of access thing?

B5Jon
19-09-2008, 08:15 AM
I also have a graco (mine is behind the passenger seat, never thought of putting it in the middle) and you have to have a rear facing seat for a baby and until they are 9-12 months (12KG), It's much easier with the base that you get with the graco (i'm sure a lot of seats also have the same base) but you can also fasten them in without the base if you wanted to go in a different car.

If you fit ISOFIX do you also need to buy extra parts/straps for the seat cause I can't see how they are fixed to it?!?

Hex69
19-09-2008, 11:50 AM
I also have a graco (mine is behind the passenger seat, never thought of putting it in the middle) and you have to have a rear facing seat for a baby and until they are 9-12 months (12KG), It's much easier with the base that you get with the graco (i'm sure a lot of seats also have the same base) but you can also fasten them in without the base if you wanted to go in a different car.

If you fit ISOFIX do you also need to buy extra parts/straps for the seat cause I can't see how they are fixed to it?!?

We went and got a Maxi-Cosi Cabroifix seat plus EasyFix Base. This has 2 clips which project from the rear of the base and clip into the ISOFIX mountings, and then has a leg to support the front.

VWKD
19-09-2008, 12:47 PM
been here all of five minutes and found an answer to my new Passat's question list!

quick question to VWKD if i may - do you really need to remove the seat to complete this or is it an ease of access thing?

I don't think you'll be able to do it without removing the seat back tbh and it's so easy you may aswell remove the seat back as it's only 1 small bolt holding it in.

B5Jon
19-09-2008, 07:45 PM
has 2 clips which project from the rear of the base and clip into the ISOFIX mountings, and then has a leg to support the front.

I would also need a new base then as mine isn't an isofix one.

Thanks

oliverreed
04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Followed this guide today - worked a treat, many thanks.

thecount
11-05-2009, 10:29 AM
any chance of the photos above again? thanks

VWKD
12-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Ah yes my hosting for those pics has now gone.. I'll try and dig them out and post them back up again.

thecount
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
thanks, that would be a godsend - raly want to get this sorted as we want to install isofix car seat in our 2005 A4 Avant Sline - I was told be another on this forum that your thread would be useful and the same kind of fitting?

VWKD
14-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Pics are back :D

thecount
14-05-2009, 08:50 AM
thanks

simonhaslam
15-06-2009, 05:35 PM
That's really helpful. Thanks

Paulk
09-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Is it possible to replace the lap belt in the middle with a three pointer? If so what would be the process and part numbers.

Many thanks in advance.

gloker
15-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks, you are a lifesaver, we had our isofix seat/base on ebay as the passat didnt have isofix. quick rummage, found the tape/holes. rang VW £34.45 later and we now have a bracket. Ebay auction cancelled. Thanks again. Gary

Scottiedogg
16-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi guys,

I know someone has already posted that all post '99 Passats will have these fixing points but does anyone know if a '99 Passat will have them?

Mine's a 1999 SE Saloon and would be keen to fit ISOFIX for later on in life!

Cheers,

Scottie

Hex69
16-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Hi guys,

I know someone has already posted that all post '99 Passats will have these fixing points but does anyone know if a '99 Passat will have them?

Mine's a 1999 SE Saloon and would be keen to fit ISOFIX for later on in life!

Cheers,

Scottie

The easiest way of finding out is to look under the rear seat, and see if there are 2 circular body coloured stickers, if there are, lift them up, and see if you can see the threads.

HTH :D

Grebby
07-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Thank you for the directions on fitting the ISOFIX bracket. I have just bolted one into my B5.5 passat in about 10 mins. Most of that time was taken up with making sure my cup of tea wasn't in the way.

Thanks

Grebby

crouzilles
22-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Thank you so much for the pictures and accompanying commentary.
One small question though, does the back bench have to be removed? If so, how is this accomplished as I have tried to remove it many times and always get stuck at the part where I lift the back bench from its clips but cannot go further.
I have also heard somewhere but can't remember where, that a latch is also needed at the back of the back-seat itself, where one rests ones back, if not the isofix shown in the pictures on this post are only for fitting a baby seat facing backwards, is this true?

Thank you