PDA

View Full Version : Avant - Tailgate Water Ingress

deelee
16-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Hi Guys & Gals,

I've recently taken possession of an A6 Avant 3.0 TDI 'Le Mans' complete with a powered tailgate. My problem is that although the tailgate is water tight when closed it has annoyingly started to 'drip' into the load area on opening.

It has already been back to the dealer to have the seal and load area cover replaced (the seal was distorted and crushed at the top and the cover was water stained) and we believed that this fixed the problem. Low and behold, four weeks later the problem appears again and the seal is once again distorted and crushed in the same place. Again, it is back with the dealer. however....

I'm now told by them that the water is coming from the top of tailgate itself and as they have no control over this they say, in so many words, that I'll have to accept it - not impressed!! :mad:.

I've now been to Audi UK who are on the case but my question is, has anyone else experienced the same problem, particularly with the powered tailgate?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how it was resolved!! :1zhelp:

Savant
30-04-2008, 10:43 PM
My Avant Le Mans 2.7tdi at less than 1 month old has water inside the tailgate! I think there is an issue here so will be on the phone tomorrow, but where it's ingressing I've no idea. It can't be rocket science to ascertain this!

Nigelo
30-04-2008, 11:13 PM
There was an issue back in 2006 (IIRC) with the rear screen wash feed pipe chafing causing it to leak. As a cause this would be surprising since a subsequent production mod was put into effect. Still worth checking if all else fails though

hope this helps

true
01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
There's a recall on power tailgates which should have been done when the car last went it for work but may have been missed. I'm not sure what it related to but it may be worth checking out.

Savant
01-05-2008, 01:32 PM
My A6 Avant is now booked in for a water test week monday, bu I know where the problem is. At the top of the tailgate there is a gap where the plastic strip should meet the metal skin. When it rains hard the water overflows the rubber channel through the gap and into the tailgate.