PDA

View Full Version : Help Key fob not working

smudge827
16-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Hi all

:1zhelp:I have changed the battery in my wifes Seat Ibiza 1.4 tdi Key Fob, but now it doesnt work anymore, Can anyone tell me how to get it working again. It is the only key we have for the car so using the second key is not an option.

thanks in advance
smudge827:1zhelp:

TezZbag
16-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Try this :

Hold unlock button for about a second.
Lock or unlock the car using the door lock.
Key should hopefully work.

adam1.4biza
02-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi all

:1zhelp:I have changed the battery in my wifes Seat Ibiza 1.4 tdi Key Fob, but now it doesnt work anymore, Can anyone tell me how to get it working again. It is the only key we have for the car so using the second key is not an option.

thanks in advance
smudge827:1zhelp:

get in car and do the following:

1) put key in ignition and turn key untill the dash lights come on.
2) turn key other way and remove the key
3) within a second of removing the key, press and hold the lock button while pressing the unlock button 3 times.
4) let go of everything.
5) car will start to lock and unlock itself
6) Job done :)

if that does not work, then new batteries are needed and if that does nto fix it then its new fob time

smudge827
12-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I have tryed now both these and replaced with another battery to be sure neither seem to work. thanks anyway for your help I think she will have to just unlock the old fashioned way.

adam1.4biza
12-06-2008, 07:03 PM
try watching the fob's on ebay... i picked up mine second hand for £5 posted... its worth a try and if it dont work.. its only a couple of quid!

DFMM
16-06-2008, 02:44 AM
When I bought my Son a 5 year old Ibiza, last month, I was told by the SEAT spares Dept., that a new battery would only work, if the existing one still had enough power to operate the locks.
A dead battery required the key to be coded by computer at the dealership, taking 15 minutes, and the car had to be there.
The batteries only last a year.
:beerchug:

adam1.4biza
16-06-2008, 12:57 PM
When I bought my Son a 5 year old Ibiza, last month, I was told by the SEAT spares Dept., that a new battery would only work, if the existing one still had enough power to operate the locks.
A dead battery required the key to be coded by computer at the dealership, taking 15 minutes, and the car had to be there.
The batteries only last a year.
:beerchug:
its is funny how seat dealers say this..... and its also funny that if you read in your sons cars handbook it will tell you more or less identical to what i said. Yet dealers say 'they' must do it because 'you cant' :mad:

the ONLY BIT that the dealers may need to do is IF you lose or break your IMOB chip. then yes the dealers will need the key + car plus lots of your money.

i am on my 3rd keyfob. 1st one i broke as i dropped it on the floor and the circuit inside broke (had a look at work).
2ns i dropped in water.. stopped working

3rd is still going strong.

2nd + 3rd was purchased from ebay for a total sum of around £20 posted.
use the codeing advice i stated above and i have a working fob.

also this is used alot within SCN.net (seat cupra.net)

DFMM
17-06-2008, 01:00 AM
My Son's remote key still had power enough to operate the locks, and I didn't even get charged for the new battery.
The first mention of re-coding the key was made by the KIA/NISSAN salesman who sold us the car. He had sold it 12 months prior, and a battery change by me was just a precaution, as only 2,000 miles had been travelled by his May 2007 customer, hardly enough to flatten a battery.
I get the impression that SEAT dealerships are not primarily interested in your cash, but in preventing a stolen car getting properly equipped with a functional remote-type key. They will check that you are the true owner, and that V5C and vehicle ID check out. After all £4 pays for a lot of checking.
I knew the storeman by name, because I had to pay for an extra front spring and wish-bone bush, to match those replaced by the seller, for the MoT, because the skinflint was prepared to let a lop-sided car drive off his fore-court, and had a set of carpet-mats waiting for me :---- hence he went straight ahead and fitted the battery without seeing if the fob still worked.

SO, security does seem a valid excuse for their attitude. ( My wife and I had also been asking the SEAT senior salesman 6 weeks prior, asking about SEATs below £3.5k, and the spares execs sit in the corner of the showroom). :beerchug:

Marmalizer
22-06-2008, 06:36 AM
To code the remote to your Seat you must have 2 keys.

1. 1st key in the Ignition and turn till lights come on.

2. 2nd key in the drivers door and lock it.

3. Remote to be coded, hold down lock button till the car chirps and indicator flashes once.

4. Open drivers door and remove key from ignition before testing the remote.

Hope this helps, just made myself a Flip key for my Ibiza by using this method.

;)

AyrIbiza
04-09-2008, 04:39 PM
To code the remote to your Seat you must have 2 keys.

1. 1st key in the Ignition and turn till lights come on.

2. 2nd key in the drivers door and lock it.

3. Remote to be coded, hold down lock button till the car chirps and indicator flashes once.

4. Open drivers door and remove key from ignition before testing the remote.

Hope this helps, just made myself a Flip key for my Ibiza by using this method.

;)

Hi
Just joined today and have just bought the new ibiza 5 door but it only comes with one flip key fob,so do you know what i need to make sure i look out for e.g part nums etc codes? if i buy a second hand uncut 3 button fob like mine?

My dealer also never supplied me with the plastic keycode tag which should come with a new car,so i have foned seat to resolve this as it CLEARLY states in manual that i should hold on to this and pass it on if i sell vehicle with a clear illustration of 1 key with fob 1 key and 1 plastic key code band!!!
Dealer says its nothing to worry about as they can still get me a spare key!but in my opinion tag belongs to ME and no-one else and i should have the choice of where i shop for a spare key!so will keep you informed.

bowenthepunk
26-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah the dealer is talking bull, mine didnt work when i got mine after i changed the battery i read the handbook and tried the method but it didnt work, i tried it loads of times then i went to the dealer and without even looking at it he said "new key, around £60". i thought ill just unlock it the old fasion way, then one night i was waiting for my girlfriend and i was messing about seeing if it would work following the procedure but i waited about 3 seconds after id taken out instead and it just worked. so pretty much how adambiza said just a lil different.

get in car and do the following:

1) put key in ignition and turn key untill the dash lights come on.
2) turn key other way and remove the key
3) removing the key and wait around 3 seconds, press and hold the lock button while pressing the unlock button 3 times.
4) let go of everything.
5) car will start to lock and unlock itself
6) Job done