PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Info System: Showing passenger door open when drivers door is actually open!

toff
16-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Hi,

As the title suggests, the Driver's info system (between the speed / rev counter) shows that the passenger door is open when it's actually the driver's door that's open (and visa-versa!)

Here are my thoughts:

The instrument cluster has been changed at some point and has not been coded-in correctly.

The central convenience module has been water-damaged (by water flooding-in through the pollen-filter area because of a blocked plenum chamber!)

Am I hot or cold?

Spr0cket
16-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Water in convenience is blamed for pretty much anything from a bulb blowing to soft top mechanisms jamming.
I truly don't believe it's nearly as common an issue as people fear.

Do you have access to VAG software and cable - it would be easy enough to verify coding, as well as run measuring blocks for convenience moduel to check the door trigger signals and what block they are appearing against.

It might simply be your car believes it's setup for LHD instead of right, but water in a convenience module would likely give you wider symptoms than a reversal of door open detection.

toff
16-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks.

I do have VAG-Com, are you able to give me any rough guidance as to where I could check the door trigger signals? I'd be really grateful. Where would I check to see if the car had been set-up for LHD / RHD?

I wasn't jumping on the "let's blame the central convenience" band-wagon.. but I suspected if for the following reasons:

My pollen-filter cowling was split, so i replaced it last weekend. I found silicon sealant round the base of it - making me think the previous owner was retrospectively protecting against water intrusion.

Also, my passenger door only locks intermittently and my back doors don't trigger the interior lights (I find it hard to believe I've got 3 faulty micro-switches!)

Cheers
Al.

Spr0cket
16-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Ah, sounds like you have more symtpoms than were portrayed ;-)

If you read the measurment blocks for the convenience module, I cannot recall the specific block addresses - but the label file will make it clear which fields you are reading - and as you look at it, try door buttons etc. that it mentions, it should show you real time update of change in states.

You can test pretty much every switch and state of the door electronics.

The Convenience module also has a coding value that needs to be present for RHD - think it was +64 though check that over on the ross tech wiki.
I'd suggest reading your current coding, and then breaking that down in it's entirety to see what is turned on and what is not - rather than randomly trying to add a value, as some of the features can interact and throw you off on a wrong path. There's no telling what you have set if you've never had it working corrrectly as a base line.

The measurement blocks will also allow you to easily test the other door switches to establish whether a control issue, or a cable / switch problem. Also read any fault codes that may be logged for the respective modules. Check for comms errors intermittently. Capture codes, and clear them so you don't waste time working through a problem that may not even be present any longer.

It can be time consuming to test each piece thoroughly, but spending time in this piece of the diganosis will save you wasted time and likely costs in modules that may not need attention

toff
28-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi Spr0cket,

I'm sorry to say that the car had so many faults, I just decided to trade it in.

Thanks kindly for your replies though.

Al.

RickT
28-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Remember that we have a VAG-COM section and the owners of VAG-COM, Ross Tech post on the forum who are very helpful!

Rick