PDA

View Full Version : Brakes....

kenhodgson
15-04-2008, 09:40 PM
hello everyone,

could I get some advice re brakes? I've rcently bought an A4 PD130 Sport. I would like to do something with the brakes. I'm going to the 'Ring in June and whilst I'm not planning on a proper thrashing I would like my brakes to be durable.

I was recommended by a V-dub pal that I should stick with OEM disks, but upgrade to fast road pads.

Question is, I have no idea which ones suit? I was told by someone to go with EBC Yellow's but then I was recommended by someone esle to stay away. I can appreciate it that where is always going to be good/negative opinions about what pads/brakes to use but would appreciate some feedback from anyone, seeing that some will have a similar/same car as me?

cheers,

Ken

thefreak
16-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I've just bought a hub from a breakers with the plan to get some 312mm disks from the V6 and mate it with some wilwood calipers. That way giving 4 pot brakes with nice big disks.

kenhodgson
16-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I would like to do something like that, only I dont have the expertise or the time to do it myself - unfortunately this is my only car which i need on a daily basis... :(

thefreak
16-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm trying to sort out some trader status on the forum so I can put something together properly, but no-one seems to want to talk to me about it :(
Anyone...?

Marco34
17-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Ken,

I was like you. Wanted something a bit better. I wasn't happy with the OEM post a new servo I had to have fitted. Not enough bite.

I decided after reading many forums that EBC greenstuff would be good. So I got discs for the front and pads all round. I had some bizarre trouble with my offside getting hotter than the nearside :confused: Tried different discs.. just the same. After putting the EBC back on with new calipers (oh yes turned out expensive) all was ok. No idea what the fault was really. Maybe upgrading exposed an already present fault. ??

I've found the EBC brakes great from cold, they don't snatch but bite on nice when you require them. Only downside is they can squeel once warm at low speeds with slight pressure. A few good heavy braking stops helps that. Small price to pay. Drove my mates A3 sportback and mine feel better so I am happy.

Much less brake dust. 5000 miles and all ok, minimal disc and pad wear. ;)

Marco

thefreak
17-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Tried EBC greens a while ago with the FTO and killed them within a week, they were awful. Would not recommend them at all. if you just want to stick new pads in instead of upgrading the brakes, I'd say go for redstuff ceramics. They're excellent OEM upgrade and bite really well from cold and keep biting.
Either that or see if Ferrodo do and DS2500s for the car... the DADDY's of fast road pads.

bora(ing) nick
17-04-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm trying to sort out some trader status on the forum so I can put something together properly, but no-one seems to want to talk to me about it :(
Anyone...?

We are working on this, please be patient ;)

Nick

Marco34
17-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Tried EBC greens a while ago with the FTO and killed them within a week, they were awful. Would not recommend them at all. if you just want to stick new pads in instead of upgrading the brakes, I'd say go for redstuff ceramics. They're excellent OEM upgrade and bite really well from cold and keep biting.
Either that or see if Ferrodo do and DS2500s for the car... the DADDY's of fast road pads.

Were you on a track with the greens? I'v done some fast driving with them and they've been fine! I was told reds aren't as good from cold and advised to go green. Seems to me it's what suits your driving!!!!

Marco

mellie
17-04-2008, 09:37 PM
You also need to think about the insurance companies. If you bother to tell them that is.

I had green stuff pads on a 2001 s3 and it added £40 to the policy. Even though they stop you quicker. Their argument was I'd go faster than normal cos i knew the brakes were better. Red stuff ones are even more hard core.

I only use std pads and normal discs from ebcbrakes now. Kind of their oem versions but better than audi's and cheaper. Recently did pads all round and it was less than £45 and a mate helped me fit them.

Marco34
18-04-2008, 09:42 AM
You also need to think about the insurance companies. If you bother to tell them that is.

I had green stuff pads on a 2001 s3 and it added £40 to the policy. Even though they stop you quicker. Their argument was I'd go faster than normal cos i knew the brakes were better. Red stuff ones are even more hard core.

I only use std pads and normal discs from ebcbrakes now. Kind of their oem versions but better than audi's and cheaper. Recently did pads all round and it was less than £45 and a mate helped me fit them.

***! are you serious! An extra £40 that actually may prevent you having an accident.. cheeky F******.. I can't believe that! :zx11:

mellie
18-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Tell me about it I was really impressed. After that I didn't bother mentioning the grooved and drilled disc's I fitted later. There are indeed cheeky f*****s.