PDA

View Full Version : looking for an a3 - what to look for

markbob917
15-04-2008, 07:35 PM
im thinking about getting an a3, but need to know what to look for etc. i cant afford an s3 :mad: so which model is best all rounder? what engine, mileage, year spec should i look for and what should i avoid?
im looking at spending 2500k to 3 k

paul b
16-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Are you after a diesel or a petrol? Generally, the diesels are more reliable and better on fuel of course! :D

Paul

Sceptre
18-04-2008, 12:30 AM
The diesel is probably the best bet but even the 1.6 petrol is quite zippy and does 40 mpg +.
The year and mileage factor would be a consideration of price so I'm assuming you're looking at a possible 00 model with fairly high mileage.
A decent 01 1.6 A3 in this part of the world is still making around 7k but well worth it in fairness.

omegadirective
18-04-2008, 10:13 AM
The 00 Audi A3 1.6 is a good car. Providing you don't have the issues with the wear and tear because of it's age it will still be suprisingly nippy, especially if you are used to something around the same engine size. Without problems, the car will do around 40+mpg. With wear and tear issues I'm getting around 30 mpg. (Faulty throttle body causing car to rev too high.)

The main problems I've had with mine are wheel bearings going, starter motor on it's way out, and the aging throttle body not responding well to a recent cleaning.
Check the clutch too, as always, especially if it's been a city car. Bear in mind though that the few 1.6 A3's I've driven have an extremely light clutch and they have all had fairly high biting points. If it's been a rural car you should be fine, my car's clutch is only starting to go after 8 years of commuting by myself and previous owner.

My mum, funnily enough, has a 01 A3 1.9 tdi, and I would have to recommend that model if you can squeeze a little more money. Awesomely quick and much better on fuel. (Providing your Diesel prices aren't through the roof like some place!)

My next step up from my 1.6 will be the 1.9tdi I think seeing how I cannot afford an S3 either! Although the 1.8T Quattro does seem very appealing...

If you're lucky, you will find a nice '99 A3 for around £2,000-3,000. A '00 A3 is likely to set you back around £3,000-£4,000. More if it's in immaculate condition.

paul b
18-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I would reccommend a diesel over the 1.6 petrol. The 1.6 petrols can have chronic idle problems, such as coilpacks and idle control valves. If you do venture down that route, check the idle isn't lumpy.

Paul