PDA

View Full Version : More Noise please....it's just too quiet!

Flying Scot
15-04-2008, 03:01 PM
I know that I’ve seen a few posts lately relating to stereo upgrade, but they all get a bit too technical for me. Basically I have a 2005 A6 Avant SE that I bought as an ex-demo so it’s fairly well loaded up with toys apart from the stereo which is the standard unit with the 6-disc changer in the glove compartment. What I want to know is how easy is it to upgrade the system to increase the sound levels produced (no, I don’t have a shell suit, it’s for the motorway!).

Can anyone tell me if I can do anything without having to upgrade the whole system i.e. speakers etc. any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Niall76
15-04-2008, 05:19 PM
I would think a sub-woofer would be a good upgrade. I'm not sure if the unit you have has the output for one though? No doubt someone will be along soon to say yay or nay....

chat
16-04-2008, 03:29 PM
For better quality rather than just more bass, or more volume, which you might find overpowering with a sub-woofer, you should consider upgrading the quality of the existing main speaker units. Make sure you get the right size and impedamce and you should be OK.

Flying Scot
16-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I’m pretty sure that I have a sub-woofer (well at least it says I do when I adjust the sound controls).

I don’t really want to start tampering with the fabric of the car by trying to upgrade the speakers (I have a bad habit of breaking things while trying to fix them!). I was quietly hoping that someone would just tell me to buy a new amp and plug it in!
Does anyone know what rating the standard speakers that are fitted to the car and what would be the maximum wattage that they could handle??

Cheers