PDA

View Full Version : K-Jet Cold start issue

Dee-GTI
15-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi all, Got an 89 Gti 16V that has a cold start issue. Whens its been running for a few minutes it seems to be fine but its when its cold. I've put a test lamp accross the connectors of both the cold start valve and warm up valve and have nothing there at all! On inspection of the Wiring that goes to the coolant temp sensors there does seemed to be sum damage there which is next to be looked at, and the engine was taken for a respray last year and i know how brittle the cables can get! just wondering if anyone had similar problems with one of these??

Crasher
15-04-2008, 01:28 PM
On the starter motor solenoid there are three connections. The large power connection, a push on terminal behind this (line 50 red/black starter command) and another push on connection in front of the power connection. This should have a black wire attached. Check that this is connected and that during cranking, it goes to 12v.

Dee-GTI
15-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Cheers for the reply chaser. I located the lead and on cranking its hits 8.5 volts, But for the love of money i cannot find where it connects! There is nothing on the starter to push it on to unless its been broken off, i dont know! Also I've just noticed 2 leads Coming out of the wiring loom, a red and black and a blue and black. I know the Reverse light switch connector has been dis-missed but dont know if these are for it or for somthing else!

Crasher
15-04-2008, 06:32 PM
What hits 8.5v, the black wire? The connector is on the back of the starter solenoid unless it has snapped off or someone has fitted the starter from a non K-Jet car, I see that a lot.

Dee-GTI
16-04-2008, 08:36 AM
yeah the black wire hits 8.5. What does it do? is it important on the cold start function?

Crasher
16-04-2008, 11:29 AM
That is feed from the use box through the Thermo Time switch heater circuit which then goes down the green/white wire to the Cold Start Injector and from there down the black/white wire to the starter terminal 15. That black/white wire MUST have +Ve applied to it on cranking or else the Cold Start Injector will not operate. To test this you could bodge it by connecting the black/white wire to the red/black solenoid trigger wire but you must not leave it like this. The reason it is powered from the starter is a safety cut so it only operates when the starter is actually cranking.

Dee-GTI
17-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Cheers crasher, Done that and yeah got a signal to the cold start valve now, so i'll get on the case with a starter motor. Its still not 100% though, or will it need the starter for the cold start to be fully effective? I'm also wonderin wether the aux air valve is at fault due to the fact that when you rev it, it drops back down to about 500rpm, then comes back up and settles.

Crasher
17-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Get the correct starter on and make sure the box to starter surfaces are spotless. Check the gearbox earth lead connections are perfect.

Dee-GTI
17-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Will Do, nice 1!