PDA

View Full Version : SE A4 Test drive

mkc
15-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Just had my A4 dropped off for a 24 hours test drive prior to an order. Im going for the S Line but they do not have any to demo at the moment. Dealer said 4-5 month wait list for the S Line.

Anyway, its the 1.8T 160 Bhp version. Kit is as standard.

Most annoying things so far:

Footrest is sooooo close to the clutch its un real. I dont have that big feet, size tens, but everytime I change gear my shoe hits the side of the footrest. Meaning I need to pay extra attention in making sure I press the clutch right down prior to change. Think I might need to start using my toes to change gear. Clutch is fairly light.

Electric brake is odd. A simple switch that toggles between on and off. However, if you put your belt on and drive away, it comes off automatically so not sure why you would want to get in the car and switch it off and not move. Unless it needs to be towed I guess. Thats going to take some time to get use to. So normally to pull a handbrake, I had to go back and check a few times to ensure Id actually put it on.

Bloater
15-04-2008, 11:59 AM
I noticed the footrest issue on my test drive. Might have to move the foot over on the clutch a bit, hopefully won't catch the brake.

Handbrake should be fine. I have a Passat which has the same, and they are great. You have to remember though that the auto release only works if you push the clutch down a long way. I am a lazy clutch user, only dipping it as far as necessary to change gear cleanly. On the Passat the sensor for the handbrake is quite near the floor. Quite funny when you go for a quick getaway at an uphill junction, only for the back end to sink to the road. Usually this is because the clutch wasn't far enough down when engaging gear.

Also I do use the manual release from time to time, normally when moving the car on the drive, or reversing off the drive. Easier to do with no seatbelt, and legal if you are manouvering. Normal driving though doesn't need it.

Enjoy the rest of the day with it.

Bloater

alexcf
15-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, dunno... I've been told July for my S-line. Annoyingly, the car was supposed to have been ORDERED last month, but due to a whole load of factors, I got a call from an Audi dealer who my leasing company is using, confirming what I wanted so they could place the order...

They told me JULY... Ross (Arval) was told differently, so I've left it in his capable hands.

Hmph, almost tempting to have gone down the 3 series route. :(

RichardCranium
15-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, dunno... I've been told July for my S-line. Annoyingly, the car was supposed to have been ORDERED last month, but due to a whole load of factors, I got a call from an Audi dealer who my leasing company is using, confirming what I wanted so they could place the order...

They told me JULY... Ross (Arval) was told differently, so I've left it in his capable hands.

Hmph, almost tempting to have gone down the 3 series route. :(

Good old Arval. We use them as well. In my experience, they do tend to drag their feet geting things sorted

AndyE66
15-04-2008, 12:59 PM
The handbrake does get a little getting used to. My first hill-start was a bit anxious as it was at some lights on a steep hill with another car sat right on my tail. I've not quite worked out the point at which the brake gets disengaged as the clutch comes up.

The other thing that catches me out (not sure if it's just me or the car) is starting the engine. Occasionally I've not put the clutch far enough in when I press the key in and nothing much happens.:Blush2:

Still, I dare say I'll get used to all of it soon enough.

AndyH123
15-04-2008, 01:23 PM
I whinged about the footrest during my test drive.

2 days into ownership, I've forgotten all about it. Think I must've subconsciously shifted over to the right by half an inch.

I use manual disengage to reverse off the drive. I think the biggest danger with the button handbrake is remembering what to do if you ever drive a 'normal' car! I predict new Audi owners being responsible for loan cars rolling down hills when parked. Pulling away without doing anything is kinda cool.

I've had two dim moments with the dip clutch / push key start. They happened to coincide with me stalling :) I then had a slight flap, clutching at air around my right thigh :)

dc1743
15-04-2008, 02:03 PM
The other thing that catches me out (not sure if it's just me or the car) is starting the engine. Occasionally I've not put the clutch far enough in when I press the key in and nothing much happens.

This is happening to me too! I thought I might have to call the RAC whilst on my Lake District jaunt. However I think the issue is that you should also press the footbrake whilst starting the engine. I had a VW Passatt on hire and I think you had to do this in that. I will have to look up starting the engine in the manual :confused:

Regards

mkc
15-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Ive noticed that too, however Im coming from a 2006 BMw which has the start/stop push the clutch in to start scenario, so im use to putting my boot down on the clutch now to get the thing spring into life.

Car seems fairly quick to the 60mph mark, I know in the real world it does not matter but 0-60 seems a lot quicker than the spec of 8. something.

Im using Arval too, so it may take sometime. Im in no rush so if it is 4-5 months Ill probably ask for it to be registered and delivered in September to get a 58 reg

AndyE66
15-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I will have to look up starting the engine in the manual

I had a rather panicky 15 minutes going through the manual on my unaccompanied test-drive when I decided to stop and extract the key to examine it. The car had been started by the sales rep who hadn't explained how to start the engine.

I was about to call for :1zhelp: and admit defeat when my wife found the quick reference card in the glovebox, much to our relief.