PDA

View Full Version : A3 Tdi intermittent turbo failure

Chanatron
15-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi, can someone please help me!

Just bought my first A3 1.9 tdi, its a 51 plate with 72000 on the clock.

Bought it on Friday and didn't notice on my test drive, but when I hit around 60mph the car goes into limp mode until i reset the ignition.

I have replaced the MAF with genuine part and the valve at the top of the engine bay where the tubes go into, and the performance has increased, but it not goes into limp mode around 80mph.

The garage I took it to said i'll need a new turbo but i'm not convinced as it is intermittent and if the turbo itself was knackered then I wouldn't get any performance up to 80mph!

Please help, p.s. i'm new to this so sorry if the post is in wrong place etc!!

shredder
22-04-2008, 11:00 AM
hi chanatron.. welcome :)
i had exactly the same problem until recently..

the place i bought it from replaced the MAF.. which didn't work. they then stripped down the turbo, cleaned it up, and replaced it.. that didn't work either. so they had to fit a new one.. problem solved!

they say it cost them around £500 to replace it, but i have no idea how realistic this price is?

sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate, but i hope i've been some help :)

good luck mate..

Chanatron
22-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Cheers Shredder,

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer, better start saving!! Garage said they can get a reconditioned one for £300, plus fitting which is prob four hours labour so imagin it'll be around 5 - 600 quid all in.

Could be worse, at least I can still drive it for now!

Thanks for your help!