PDA

View Full Version : Indicator switch clicking... ALL... THE... TIME...

barnabyr
15-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi,
I have a 2000 Passat 1.9 TDi.
The indicator is making an erratic clicking noise (without the lights flashing) and I see from other posts that other indicator problems are often down to the relay in the hazard switch.

With mine though, it seems to be affected by the position of the steering wheel.
If I am going dead straight it doesn't come on but if I am even slightly off from straight, it clicks rapidly all the time.
Will this still be down to the hazard switch or could there be a problem in the steering column?
Please be gentle, I am not a mechanic!
Thanks,
Barnaby

hotrod09
15-04-2008, 12:55 PM
From what you are describing it sounds similar to a fault my Passat had ages ago. Got it sorted under warranty then on my 2000 model. They replaced the indicator stalk. Ever since I have a random rattle under the dash - quality *********** what more can I say...
Check if wiggling the stalk brings it on while the wheel is straight. If so I would try a new stalk. Hope this helps

Dacabbie
15-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Hiya Barnaby
It sounds like the indicator stalk needs to be replaced, unfortunately it comes complete with a yolk that is attached which will require removing the steering wheel. (a job for a competent mechanic) As the Air bag has to be de activated.
Approx 2 hours labour + £40 approx for parts.
It is a comon fault as I have had my third in 3 years.
Good Luck

sergiup
16-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Just to strengthen others' opinions, it's most likely the indicator stalk - had it die on my parents' B5.5, and 'cos I didn't know any better, I even bought a new relay; needless to say, that didn't fix it, but a new stalk did.

markgreen
07-03-2010, 01:36 PM
see this thread - jcarncross (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=30787) has found the root of this problem.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24058&highlight=gook

I seem to have shifted the gook from my column switch by flooding it with WD40 using the little red straw through every hole i could find in the switch casing. Especially behind the stalk where you can get the straw in quite a long way.

I did take the top trim off from behing the steering wheel - 2screws from underneath to get better access. But I didn't take the wheel off or dismantle the switch.

So for now the clicking has stopped. - Much cheaper than a new switch!

Will try to remember to post if the fix is still good in a few weeks.

Thon
21-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Tried this at the weekend as I had an almost constant buzz from the indicator relay. Followed exactly the instructions above and it worked like a dream. 2 screws and a good dousing of WD and all is working well. One thing to add though - I would advise doing it at night and putting absorbent cloth down at the front (lower) end of the steering column surround to allow the exceess WD to be mopped up otherwise oily trousers may be the order of the day thereafter. Thanks again.

markgreen
21-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Six weeks on the switch is still good. :beerchug:

Good point on the oil dripping. I think much of it has ended up in the soundproofing!
The o/h was complaining about the smell :1zhelp:

dib
23-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Just had to do the WD40 trick on mine as it had exactly the same problem. Seems to have fixed it. A straightforward remedy for once! Thanks to whoever's idea it was.

Max-Power
23-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I had this problem a while ago and just fitted a new indicator stalk. wish I saw this idea, would have saved me £60!

markgreen
29-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Just thinking. Electrical contact cleaner spray probably a better bet than WD40 if you have it.