PDA

View Full Version : key fob not working

orchard county
14-04-2008, 09:29 PM
hi thre. first time on here to this mularky. just bought a P reg A4 TDI estate (late 96) which i am well happy with. although the central locking works fine by inserting the key into the lock i cant get it to work remotely when coming up close to car.
1 i changed the battery. still not working
2. i took out the wee bulb like thing from out of key and connection inside it seems to be broken. however i cant get an exact replacement anywhere. mind you i havent tried an audi dealer. i think it is a 1.5 v bulb or possibly is it called a dianode ?most electronics shops say they they have simialar model but but the base of mine is different. would any 1.5 v one do the trick or does it have to be an exact copy. if so where would i get one. thanks in advance.

mbu10
14-04-2008, 09:56 PM
ok a quick question
cause i got one of those keys
just to check does it have a lock diagram on it
as the key i think you are using just has alight in it
no central locking
p reg ish was about when the cars could have or not have central locking but i think was a option on some cars

in the end i got an after market flip key remote which clips onto 4 wire in the boot and opens and closes the entire car for me easy
thanks

orchard county
14-04-2008, 11:08 PM
hi idont see any lock diagram on the key. there is a button in the middle of the key which would then press down on the battery below it. key itself is marked HAA is this means anything. car does have central locking.

mbu10
14-04-2008, 11:30 PM
yep sounds like you do not have remote central locking
just a key (with a RFID capsule in it for the immobialiser)
the battery just powers the little led basically
your car does not have remote central locking via what you have said

just in case read the FAQ and find out if ou could get a Audi remote keyfob and get coded to your car (you can tell by the number on the immobiliser which is on the box in your boot in the right hand side well just behind your rear wheel
this willl still cost you about 100 quid all in all to get done by audi

or you can do what i did and bought a Rclick remote fob (with 2 remotes with flick keys + all electronics and simple instructions) it took me about 30 mins to fit and clean up (a fool could install)
and there key looks like a audi one really
http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=371

hope this helps

orchard county
15-04-2008, 10:13 PM
yep sounds like you do not have remote central locking
just a key (with a RFID capsule in it for the immobialiser)
the battery just powers the little led basically
your car does not have remote central locking via what you have said

just in case read the FAQ and find out if ou could get a Audi remote keyfob and get coded to your car (you can tell by the number on the immobiliser which is on the box in your boot in the right hand side well just behind your rear wheel
this willl still cost you about 100 quid all in all to get done by audi

or you can do what i did and bought a Rclick remote fob (with 2 remotes with flick keys + all electronics and simple instructions) it took me about 30 mins to fit and clean up (a fool could install)
and there key looks like a audi one really
http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=371

hope this helps

ok. thanks for the help/clarification. i suspect my wife will just say "leave it its fine.... dont go messing with the car .or else. might give it a bash though..

orchard county
18-04-2008, 09:26 PM
on this point i was thinking. how do i know if my immobiliser is working if the key does not work. when i lock the car centrally using the key the indicator lights flash. does this mean the immobiliser is working or should i give it a good old shake and reall annoy the nieghbours !!!

Aeikostx
20-04-2008, 02:09 AM
on this point i was thinking. how do i know if my immobiliser is working if the key does not work. when i lock the car centrally using the key the indicator lights flash. does this mean the immobiliser is working or should i give it a good old shake and reall annoy the nieghbours !!!

The immobiliser and alarm are two different things. The immobiliser is just for starting the car (so you can't hotwire it as the code is in the key) and without the code, the engine won't fire up. I guess the only real way to test if you have an alarm is to get your wife to lock you in the car, and using the spare keys, try and start the car. Not sure if this will work, but that's what happened to me when i central locked myself inside my car, the alarm started blaring and wouldnt start.