PDA

View Full Version : ROOF OPENING WHILST MOVING

SWORDFISH
12-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Has anyone seen the video on youtube?

Just go on youtube and search for "EOS ROOF OPENING WHILE DRIVING".

It's an American company, and I think I'll wait for a few people to have the module fitted before I part with my cash.
I also wonder how it will affect the warranty. It supposedly lets you open/close the roof at up to around 30mph. I personally don't think I'd trust the roof mechanism working for too long if you kept using it at those speeds, but maybe just leaving a set of lights that have just turned to green, instead of sitting there for another 20 secs with people beeping their horns at you whilst the roof goes up!!

I understand that you can set it to work from the remote too, and it also gives the option of "one touch opening", which would be nice as I get fed up keeping the button pressed/lifted whilst the roof opens/closes.

Anyone heard if there are any companies in the UK doing a similar module?

RickT
24-12-2006, 12:07 AM
You can do this on the A4 Cabrio 2004 onwards via VAG-COM....

HOWEVER... this puts EXTREME strain on the full system while driving at any speed with wind etc..

If you was going to get a kit ensure streghten parts are used.. however you can kiss your warrenty good bye!!

Cheers

RickT

mateos
27-04-2007, 03:16 PM
i like the extra functions, will wear your battery out pretty quick if you don`t start it between remote operations though. If anyone has one or is going to let us know what its like. seen on ebay too. not getting my EOS till June but might get one. i wouldn`t use it at anything like 30mph !

GurnyGub
28-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Listen, IMHO reconsider! VW may well void your warranty if anything goes wrong, and they can spot the mod on the car's system. VW could do this, but they choose not to, for health and safety reasons, the engineering wasn't designed to cope with it, and it could be the biggest airbrake since the Shuttle. And not just the wind, bumpy roads could damage the works. 'Nuff said?
John

mateos
29-04-2007, 11:54 AM
prob wouldn`t use it whilst moving, just remote open/close

EOSmage
04-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey, I have one of the modules, and never installed it. The problem, unfortunately, is that VW (North American Importers) are really against mods that deal with the roof in any way. Bypassing the control module that they provide in order to open/close remotely or while driving is something that they are not happy with.

Unfortunately, it is possible for them to "verify" that you have used one of these modifications-- they all require that you use "crimp" connectors on the power wires-- and VW will instantly void your warranty for anything that "might" be affected by the mod.

That's the whole electrical system, since the mods tap into the communication channel used by the car. Also the roof mechanics, since you might be tempted to raise or lower while driving, and they aren't willing to support that at all.

I've been told that VW is taking a hard stance against roof modules, and I really recommend that you stay away from them. If you REALLY REALLY want to have one, I'll happily sell you my unused one. I've never actually plugged it in, so don't know how well the thing works (although people talk about them highly). I'm just not willing to void warranty on a really expensive roof. I wish someone had explained this to me (like I am for you) before I bought it...

:(

Good luck and enjoy your car, whatever your decision.

chrisemmerson
22-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I'll take your module if you still have it?...how much?

Teflon
23-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm not in the habit of insulting people that I've never met, but in this case I'll make an exception for your own good.

ANYONE thinking of doing this mod is either COMPLETELY MAD, BONKERS and UTTERLY DROOLING, or else is SUCH A SAD POSER that he/she needs to get a life.

If you want to operare the roof on the move - FORGET IT. I've has so many problems with the roof on the wife's car that I wouldn't dream of stressing it by operating it with the wind blowing on it. They leak, they creak, they rattle and squeak. Why make it worse?

ANYONE just wanting to operate the roof with the remote while sauntering to the car has a serious posing problem. I suggest you trade in the EOS for a Rav4 in hairdresser purple, or maybe even a Suzuki Cappuchino. Or if you are a dyed in the wool VW fan get a Beetle convertible with some of those stick on giant flowers on the paintwork.

chrisemmerson
23-09-2007, 08:13 PM
mmm. yeah but

a) I have no intention of opening it while moving, in fact I don't even see the point.

and

b) quite the contrary to your assumptions of being a poser I'd actually feel less of a knob if the car did its thing while i wasn't in it, with everyone watching.

...see always another way of looking at it:biglaugh:

Teflon
24-09-2007, 08:31 AM
mmm. yeah but

a) I have no intention of opening it while moving, in fact I don't even see the point.

and

b) quite the contrary to your assumptions of being a poser I'd actually feel less of a knob if the car did its thing while i wasn't in it, with everyone watching.

...see always another way of looking at it:biglaugh:

hmmmmm,

If I see someone in a multi-storey, hiding behind a concrete pillar, squeezing an object in his right hand and watching the roof on an Eos come down, I'll rest easy in the knowledge that it's not one of the usual druggie-mugger brigade. It's just someone who's trying to hide his inner poser from the world and himself. :o

Can you deny your true self any longer??? Come out, come out! Surely you have that dream of cracking the lid in in the July sunshine, while gently strolling across the car park at work, jacket thrown over the arm and a lightweight designer briefcase in hand that you nonchelantly toss in the back seat before hopping over the side, firing her up and cruising away for a nice glass of chilled Chablis at the wine bar where the blond from accounts sometimes goes after work on a Friday????? No? Am I close? ;)

I, on the other hand, just find it much easier to get in when the roof is already down. Because I'm fat. Maybe I'll have one of those module thingies after all........ :p

stewseos
20-10-2007, 05:26 PM
mmm. yeah but

and

...see always another way of looking at it:biglaugh:i

stewseos
20-10-2007, 05:36 PM
if you read the full description the smart top does far more and the company have been doing mods for mercs porsche audi and more.
you can set it up so that the car still has to be parked to lower and raise the roof, it can also alter the way the switches work and even has a function so that the nearside mirror angles toward the kerb for parking, handy considering some wheels can cost up to £500.perhaps some forums in the usa could be contacted to see if anyone has actually fitted one on eos, i will have a look when i have more time

Desertfish
02-01-2008, 03:20 PM

If one feels like a knob/poser when sitting in the car while the roof is opening, doesn't one feel like a knob/poser when driving the car with the roof open...?

...and even has a function so that the nearside mirror angles toward the kerb for parking, handy considering some wheels can cost up to £500.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but older models of convertables were considered luxury cars. As such, as far as I'm aware, most come with electrc windows and mirrors. Cars nowadays all have electrical mirrors so why spend the extra money on a mod for something that your car already does...?

Since you can set-up the mod to open/close the roof even if your car is stationary, the only use I can see for this toy is for someone having a manual roof.

chrisemmerson
02-01-2008, 09:17 PM
If one feels like a knob/poser when sitting in the car while the roof is opening, doesn't one feel like a knob/poser when driving the car with the roof open...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but older models of convertables were considered luxury cars. As such, as far as I'm aware, most come with electrc windows and mirrors. Cars nowadays all have electrical mirrors so why spend the extra money on a mod for something that your car already does...?

Since you can set-up the mod to open/close the roof even if your car is stationary, the only use I can see for this toy is for someone having a manual roof.

Desertfish,

Was your post actually trying to be of assistance to anyone or are you just that sad that you need to try and come up with attemptedly smart **** comments to threads that haven't been active for months.

Mods can you please close this thread so we don't keep getting pointless email notifications for responses like this.

onzarob
02-01-2008, 10:53 PM
pointless comments:mad: