PDA

View Full Version : Wheel disc instant death!!

Zipper
14-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Apologies to all that I couldn't make the GTI International meet yesterday- it sounded very promising but due to a very near miss I was sadly delayed between 9am and 6pm on the Sunday.

Regrettably, I am unsure what condition my car is in- I have photos which I'll post up soon for you to see.

I was travelling on the A361 on the strip from Chipping Norton hearing to the Tews on the Burford road where it goes into the'Y' shape that eventually leads to Sandford St.Martin and I felt a sudden rattle, the steering was all over the place and the next thing I knew, the car had veered over into the oncoming traffic! ( for anyone who knows this part of the A361 it's a danger spot with signs everywhere! I quickly yanked the steering to the left and into the grass verge where a car pulled in behind telling me that my wheel had gone flying of and bounced into a field! This was confirmed when I saw my churned BBS RC in brambles in a nearby ditch about 1/4 of a mile down the road.The front end was ditched but all I could see was one very molested Tarox disk, an Anniversary valance and front wing damage ( photos).

Luckily another car stopped and stayed for the whole time until the Police and AA arrived. The good samaritan that kept me entertained was equipped with a day glo jacket, trolley jack and umbrella for the thunderstorm which drenched me when I managed to retrieve my wheel from the brambles!! ( farewell new jeans which were torn to shreds!!)

Describing my location on that part of the A361 was a nightmare but the AA finally arrived with the lorry and we managed to jack her, ( this failed twice and the weight fell on the disc finally destroying it!) and put it on the lorry. On a complete off chance I decided to drop into APS to see if anyone was there and by sheer luck Dave at Merlin was there, when he realized what had happened he offered to let me leave my Golf there overnight!! Phew....

So my car is resting at Merlin where I will be heading tomorrow to talk to the APS boys..

As yet, the extent of the damage is unknown but I feel pretty lucky to be here, had it have been on a dual carriage way it may have carried a slightly more fatal conclusion.

I've no idea how this happened but I guess I will know tomorrow.

Until then, I'm off to bed - I need some sleep.

Zip :confused:

M53494
14-04-2008, 11:39 PM
OUCH! Keep us posted on the cause. Loose wheel nuts? Defective wheel?

It certainly looks a spot on car in the pics on your forum. Very similar to mine, only Ive kept the 150 front skirt and fitted a 4motion rear valance and twin pipe Milltek. I colour coded the skirts at the same time as having a few chips/scratches etc done, only to return to the bodyshop to find the new colour didnt match Indigo Blue! To cut a very L O N G story short, I ended up doing loads of research and chasing around to find there are NINE different shades and only to use Spies Hecker paint as that is what VW use in the factory. The Spies Hecker paint has 157.3 gramms of pearl per ltr, where as the Dupont that was initially used only has 74.8 gramms of pearl per ltr. The pearl is what gives the blue its gorgous purple hue in the sun. It finally got the Spies Hecker paint back on it and what a difference!!

Zipper
15-04-2008, 01:36 PM
OUCH! Keep us posted on the cause. Loose wheel nuts? Defective wheel?

It certainly looks a spot on car in the pics on your forum. Very similar to mine, only Ive kept the 150 front skirt and fitted a 4motion rear valance and twin pipe Milltek. I colour coded the skirts at the same time as having a few chips/scratches etc done, only to return to the bodyshop to find the new colour didnt match Indigo Blue! To cut a very L O N G story short, I ended up doing loads of research and chasing around to find there are NINE different shades and only to use Spies Hecker paint as that is what VW use in the factory. The Spies Hecker paint has 157.3 gramms of pearl per ltr, where as the Dupont that was initially used only has 74.8 gramms of pearl per ltr. The pearl is what gives the blue its gorgous purple hue in the sun. It finally got the Spies Hecker paint back on it and what a difference!!

Thanks- yes exactly LB5N has so many different shades. I've got the bodyshop where I go to mark the colour that matches mine perfectly but I had a nasty shock when I asked a company to spray parts for me LB5N and it came back looking matt blue almost grey (to my eye)- I've since found Merlin Bodycraft and they've got an exact match..We need to save that in bodywork for other indigo blue drivers! Some v.useful info there :beerchug:

Nutty
15-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Very unusual for a car to loose a wheel, especially a 5 stud wheel, any ideas as to why it came off ?

Glad your okay BTW.