PDA

View Full Version : New wheels 16" - 17" is it worth it?

Marco34
14-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm after some advice guys...

I've been thinking about getting some new wheels. I would only get the 17" star Audi alloys as I prefer Audi OEM designs. The 16" wheels looked big when the car was new in 2001. 16" can be found on a basic Megane now!!!

I like the trapeze design but think 17" would look better. The sports ride is ok but even with 16" wheels I find it can be hard sometimes. The roads I use are appalling and am concerned there will be a big difference between 16"- 17".

Other people have reported big differences in ride. Do you think it's worth going from 16" to 17", does it make a big difference in looks in your opinion?

225/45/17 would give only 5mm rolling difference.

There are pics of one with 17" and mine on 16"

Cheers
Marco

churp
14-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Its more a looks things really, will not notice much in way of driving but if i was you i wouldn't do it as you said you have to drive on appalling roads, i think the 17's would actually make ride worst as the tyres will be not so tall so will give less flex.

geffg
14-04-2008, 12:50 PM
i have the 17" star design wheels and think they look a lot better than 16s. it is down to taste though. mine is the sport and on bad roads the ride isnt what you call smooth.:confused:

Marco34
14-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replys guys... I do like the 17" Star wheels but then again I do like to have my *** cushioned! :o I could do with driving one with 17" over the same road, I guess that's the only comparison.

My mate has 17" A3 sportback alloys. Could be worth trying them for ride quality. May put my money into a remap instead. :D

Cheers